What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Usual Suspects - Special Edition" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the scoop, Ron! Seeing as how I MUST own this DVD, I'm glad I never picked up the first one! I cannot wait to pore through these features for myself!

TheoGB

Screenwriter
The R2 edition will only have the 2.35:1 anamorphic version on it (apparently) and it sounds like a terrific transfer also. I'm impressed MGM can still give an excellent transfer if both versions are on the U.S. edition and on the same side. This bodes well for future dual releases, I would think...

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
This is one sweet looking disc! Can't wait to add it to my collection!

Great job Ron!

And that slipcase is ingenious... I love how the faces disappear!

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Now it is finally time to retire my LD version that I bought from my local video store that was dumping their previously viewed stock at fire sale prices.
To think, we get OAR and J6P gets to fill up his screen. Who would have thunk it was possible. Wow, two versions on one, count'em, one disc. I wonder if anyone else will pick up on this. Of course I can hear it now: "Half this disc is filled up with stuff that does not fill up my screen! Why should I pay full price!". :D

John Stone

Supporting Actor
If I lost my job, had no food, and was down to my last $25.00, I'd buy this DVD and eat the box.
Great review, I can't wait! Thanks MGM! :emoji_thumbsup:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
MGM has really turned it around.
This disc looks great, and the upcoming Bull Durham will probably be as good.
If MGM's recent efforts are any indication, then the rumoured Fargo: SE should be a nice disc also.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
is the Singer/McQuarrie commentary on this SE the same that was on the previous release?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes! Procrastination does have its advantages! I never got around to picking up the original disc, so luckily these won't have to be one of the dreaded "repurchases" that I find myself helplessly enslaved to. :)
Thanks for the great, in-depth review. This is on the top of my list for 4/2

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I'm in for a re-purchase! I know I can do something with my original release, thus justifying the purchase of this SE. Thanks for the review Ron!

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I thought waiting for the original MGM release, and skipping the Polygram release which preceded it, was sufficient. Oh well.

Ron, for those of us with 4x3 screens, have you any idea whether the new release will look different from MGM's first dvd?

this will be double dip part two, Tron and its 20th aniversary re-release, and i don't really have a problem with it. Double dipping while it sucks, for a movie you love is no problem. I plan to dip again some day for the Princess Bride SE, and would for others, but some just don't have the pull to get a new special extra delux ultimate platinum vista edition for me.

Nuff said.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Singer's commentary is one of the best I've heard. I'm so looking forward to pouring over the rest of the features on this long overdue release.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Double dip eh? How about this: so far I have re-rurchased

The Usual Suspects

Boogie Nights

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

American Werewold in London

Evil Dead

Evil Dead 2

Army of Darkness

Die Hard

Die Hard 2

Die Hard 3

Dirty Harry

The Fugitive

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Gattaca

Interview with the Vampire

A Clockwork Orange

The Shining

Last of The Mohicans

Leon

Seven

Predator

Saving Private Ryan

The Terminator

Tombstone

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Drat! I just bought the origional a few months ago, love the movie, and now this! It's the first I heard of the SE. Great looking case with intriguing extras, looks like a double dip for me here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks