What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Usual Suspects - Special Edition" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Bill GrandPre-

I agree. It seems like an glitch to me. Now, whether

or not it really is, I dunno. But I didn't find it

something that enhanced the DVD....more like something

that will inspire many viewers to return it to the store

for a refund.

Mark

Chris_House

Agent
They are discussing the commentary "glitch" over at DVDTalk as well, and I will tell you guys the same thing I told them. I listened to this track back when I purchased the other MGM release, and there is nothing wrong with your dvd, and it was not a glitch in the editing of the tracks. It is very much supposed to be that way.

Right near the end of the track, one of the guys mentions that people always ask him how much of Verbal's story was true, and how much was fake. Just when he starts to answer the question, we begin to hear other audio tracks fading in and out, and we can't make out what he is saying. The blending tracks sound very similar to the blended voice overs at the end of the film. The effect is simply an allusion to the ambiguity of the ending of the film. I liked the idea, and found it to be quite clever.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Chris_House-
Thanks for your comments. I just watched the credits
again with the commentary track on, and if one is
really paying attention, you can tell that Bryan
and Chris clearly have their tougues planted in
their cheeks.
Still, because I have seen a case where it was an
authoring issue (actually, the commentary cut into
the normal audio in one case, and in the other, the
commentary started running about 30 seconds behind
the film, which the "normal audio" still playing in
the background softy 30 seconds too late), and conisidering
it comes after some pause on The Usual Suspect
DVD, it can easily be mistaken for an authoring problem,
which obviously, many of us have.
Yep...it is clever...maybe too much so.
Mark

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed the same thing on the commentary over the credits. It is very clever. I was confused at first, but after I listened a bit, I became very amused. Very nice work on this very special edition.

Jakob_S

Stunt Coordinator
I could be wrong, but putting two transfers on the same side of a DVD couldn't possible be a good thing! So what's the deal? Is the transfer really that good? And how did they actually put the movie on the same side twice? -Are the "Fullframe" and "Widescreen"-versions placed on their each and own layer, which means that when seing the movie you're watching it like it was a single-layer DVD without any layer transition?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Probably the widescreen version in on one complete layer and the modified version is on the other complete layer.

It might have had a better compression job if they had left off the crap-o'vision version and spread the film over two layers.

Dan

Craig_T

Second Unit
Does anyone notice that the audio track during the extra featurettes seems to occasionally sort of pop or get garbled? It can get pretty annoying at times. Sounds like they did a shoddy job on the audio for the extras. The film itself looks and sounds great.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
After watching all the featurettes, I remember thinking "I wonder why nobody mentioned Pete Postelthwaite.."
Then during the "interview outtakes", Kevin Pollak says something to the effect of "Good luck getting anyone to talk about Pete..."
Anyone know the scoop on this? Is Pete some big jerk to work with or something? :laugh:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I dunno, they speak highly of Pete on the commentary. He is in fact a charming man and a bloody fine actor. I don't think it was a case of him being a jerk, but the opposite perhaps. Chris McQuarrie mentions on the commentary how the two of them had been out all night drinking and partying, yet Postlethwaite still arrived on set dead on time the next morning.
Seems Postlethwaite may be a bit of a party animal who they all had a bit of late night fun with. :)
Dan

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Damn, I found 20 mins of easter eggs on the DVD. A John Ottman interview, and documentary outtakes. Really great easter eggs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks