What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Thief of Bagdad" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Yeah Ken,
I feel okay about getting ToB through the mail, but those cardboard "snappers" of Warners (like Horror of Dracula) oftimes get kinda' beat up in the mail, or the disc becomes dislodged. That's why I would like to find HoD at a "B&M."
BTW, how much did you give for Thief at Borders?

DeeF

Screenwriter
I've watched it 3 times through, now.

It's a brilliant movie. Surprisingly sexy, and quite understated for a fantasy, "kids" kind of movie. Rex Ingram steals the show as the genie with the Alabama accent.

I would really like to have a documentary about this one. Since it was the most expensive movie of its time, and there were obvious problems. Many directors worked on it, including Michael Powell, and uncredited, Zoltan Korda, Alexander's brother. Also, it appears that some of the exteriors were filmed in California, which would make sense, since apparently William Cameron Menzies was called in to help (he had photographed the silent version, a very different movie, also quite beloved). It would be nice to get the full story, like the documentary which was made about Cleopatra.

There are a few shots on the DVD that are poorly registered, notably one of the princess in the ship. And the soundtrack needs some serious work, perhaps a different print has better quality sound? I noted that Rosza stole his main theme for King of Kings (1960) right from this movie.

Anyway, in this year of fantasy, Lord of the Rings, and all that, it's nice to have this gem available. Kudos to everybody!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There's actually a pretty nice discussion of the film and the complexities of its production over at the DVD Savant Web Site. Here's the link. I agree that the production and reception of this film would make an intersting book or documentary. I said in another thread that it was sort of the Star Wars of its pre-baby boomer time.
Regards,

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I couldn't find this anywhere yesterday...does anyone know if the release will be delayed in Canada?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I checked several Canadian online stores and could not find it. I guess no Canada yet.
My Best Buy did not have it either :angry:

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I haven't found this anywhere locally-Best Buy, Tower, Circuit City-so I'll have to order it online. And I wanted to watch it tonight.:frowning:
Oh well, something to look forward to!:)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I couldn't get this one early, as is my usual practice. But when I went to Tower yesterday, they had a lot of copies. I bought one for my siblings, for Christmas presents.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I finally watched this DVD tonight. Wow! This is probably the most vivid Technicolor DVD that I've seen yet; the only ones that comes close that I've seen are the Anchor Bay GARDEN OF ALLAH and the Powell/Pressburger Criterion DVD's. And the film itself is truly a classic, holding its own with modern fantasies like LORD OF THE RINGS and STAR WARS. A definite must buy for all film buffs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks