What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Butterfly Effect (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Freaky! You put me in MY place, didn't you? :D

I guess the studios have started to produce single-sided DVDs for rental purposes. That'd make sense, since two-sided ones are more likely to become damaged. Anybody checked out copies at places like Blockbuster to see if they're also one-sided?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
The girl was definitely showing full-frontal. I had to rewind that part, to see if I was imagining things.:D

I also rented for BB and it was a two sider. I was able to flip the disc and check out the Theatrical ending when I was finished with the DC. Also, on the theatrical side is the trailer for Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I didn't see the movie, but that trailer is kick ass. I would definitely consider that some nice demo material! Nice use of surrounds, and some really good LFE!

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Is anyone here having problems getting the subtitles to work? I had a friend who was deaf visiting, and while it says closed captions (English and spanish) on the back of the box, when I tried it, Nada. The second season of threes company also says closed caption on it, and yet again ( I know its not new line :) ) nothing.. I wouldnt think it would be too difficult to put 'em on there, especially since it says so on the box. :thumbsdown:

Excellent movie though :emoji_thumbsup: .. I prefer the theatrical cut. I've seen it mentioned it has a happy ending on the theatrical cut? Hmm.. Didn't seem to upbeat to me... anyhoo..

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Neflix renters of this movie, both cuts are on the same side of the disc. I was livid when I opened the envelope and noticed the disc as pictured in Jim's reply. I put the disc in my player and when the main menu came up I then clicked play. To my relief another menu comes up giving you a choice of director's cut or theatrical edition. Phew!

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

My friend is a fan of the film (I haven't seen it) and they are also hearing impaired. They are apparently having problems accessing the english subtitles. I told them to look under "settings" or "languages" or use the "subtitle" option on the dvd player. They are still having no luck....can someone let me know how to see the subtitles so I can relay the information to her?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Johny Jr. wrote:
There doesn't seem to be any "subtitle" menue access option on either side of the disc, even though the DVD case states there is both "Spanish" and "English" subtitles.
When the "Closed Captioning" on the DVD player is turned on, the English captioning works (becomes visible).

Paul

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I too bought this disk just based on the review here. I freaking loved this movie. Both me and the wife loved it.......... Loved it. The sound is AWESEOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Great disk, great movie, :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

R~

Julie K

Screenwriter
Wow. I really enjoyed this movie. I was intrigued by the trailers but lost interest when it was finally released theatrically but decided to give it a rent, partially on the discussion of the alternate ending. I am so glad I did and I'm going out to buy a copy tonight.

Having gotten a netflix rental I didn't see the theatrical version and based on what I read here, I doubt I'll give that a look. I think the directors' cut was perfect, although it would have been interesting had the whole thing been a delusion of Evan's.

Wonderful movie. I also enjoyed how the menu kept changing.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
When I first saw the trailers for this and Ashton Kutcher was the lead I passed on it.

I just saw this last night and realized what a mistake that was. A breakout performance for Ashton Kutcher.

Great film and great review.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

Wow. My copy only had the DC, and after reading your description of the theatrical ending, I must say, I prefer that version. I found the DC ending to be quite goofy in execution.

The filmmakers sure had balls to tackle such dark material, tho!

Cheers,

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Jim -

If you activate Infinifilm then jump to the last last chapter before the credits (or maybe a little before) you will get an option to view the original ending.

-paul

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
" What?!! They changed that? !! She was fully nude when I saw it in the theater in State College, Pa. Definite full-frontal nudity. "

When I saw it in the theater at an advance screening she was definitely shown in full frontal nude.

-Mike

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
A great movie. Dark and disturbing with a lot of possible interpretations. A good job by Kutcher. I only watched the DC, but I'm going back for the theatrical ending and commentary. The extra feature discussions about time travel movies was a waste.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'll definitely give the DC a spin, but I think in the end I'll prefer the "happy" theatrical cut.

The DC goes with the cover art and the "devil eyes" though.

Seeing it theatrically, I just didn't see that whole angle of the film that he was evil and shouldn't have been born or whatever. One thing to show the whole playing God thing as bad, but to say his existnece was responsible for all these bad things is something different and a bit more "bad X-files episode" to me.

Too bad about no DTS for the theatrical cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks