What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Hellboy - Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Can't wait until tomorrow! This has been a very dry month for dvd releases. This will be a blind-buy that I am sure will not disappoint. Thanks for the review Michael.

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this in the theater and was drooling at the thought of getting it on DVD if the pic quality was close. Hating Spiderman, Hulk et all, I wasn't looking forward to seeing this one with the kids. But I was in for a treat. The sound and visuals were absolutely sensational, there were some excellent humor, and even when it all got a bit incoherent, the sound and vision just bowled me over.

Guaranteed to be a must own show off the HT disc, and a pretty darned decent movie to boot.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Colin,

Thanks for the info. Blind buy for me but I'm sure it will be well worth it. Along with the DC in November.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i thought it was a good movie.
certainly not great.

i was disappointed by 2 things though.
1, the dvd does not allow subtitle changing on the fly.
apparently there is one scene with about 2 lines of russian dialogue that has player generated subs. :thumbsdown:
listed as subtitle 1 on by my player.
it is automatically on when you start the movie.
you have to go to setup to get the movie subs on,
subs 3 by my player.

2, i hated the score.
it was dull, repetitive and well, boring.
it took me out of the movie.
too distracting for me.

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
How much more will the DC have? How much longer? I saw the DC of Butterfly effect and it had only an alternate ending with about 5 minutes of different footage. That's much much a reason to make an entirely new second purchase. LOTR averaged about 30-35 minutes of extra footage and was worth the purchase.

I'll probably pick this up today and wait and see what the DC has.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I thoroughlly enjoyed this movie, however as my DVD collection is nearing 500 movies, I just can't keep double-dipping on movies, especially when I know in advance, so I will hold off on this release and go with the DC. I cant wait! :D

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
You know, when this movie came out, the trailer did absolutely nothing for me and since I was not a fan of the comicstrip, I brushed it off. However, I was in BestBuy over the weekend and they had some kind of Hellboy featurette playing on all they're tv's, kind of an extended trailer and it looked very interesting. I think if the original trailer would have included some of these shots, I would have gone to see it in the theater. After watching the preview at BB, this was going to be a blind purchase, but since there is going to be an extended version with some 15 minutes of deleted material on the 2nd release (according to the article in Svens post), I'll have to wait and just do a rental. Recent articles regarding DVD double-dipping seem to indicate that the industry is very proud of themselves for coming up with a way to bilk us for even more money. :thumbsdown:
from the article:

Celebrated?? By who?? Your bank accounts??

Travis W.

Second Unit
I just picked mine up. Columbia also includes a 5 dollar mail-in rebaate when you purchase the director's cut coming out in November. The disc art for the director's cut is also displayed, looks cool.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Just picked up mine and there was not mail-in rebate with it. Where was the rebate form? On the inside of the DVD case or inside the plastic wrap? The only insert was an advertisement for other DVDs.

Travis W.

Second Unit
It's inside the book included with the disc, last page right next to the Columbia DVD advertisement. The rebate doesn't go into effect until the DC comes out.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Based on that, it looks like the DC is for me. Thanks for the link.

Based on the link fromthe previous page.

Some fast posters here.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up Hellboy as a blind buy today and look forward to seeing it. I haven't had many releases to get exited about recently and I'm glad it came out this week. My copy did have the booklet w/ the rebate form in it, btw.

I really don't understand the backlash at multiple releases. Having choices is a good thing, right? They announced the DC before the SE was released and they provide a $5 rebate if you want to double dip. I'm not sure I'll pick up the DC, but I'm glad I will have the option later this year. I didn't see anything included in the new version of Bourne Identity that would prompt me to buy it again (especially since it is missing the DTS soundtrack), But I have no problem with them releasing it to promote the new movie and provide more extras for those interested in them. Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Travis W.

Second Unit

It should be in there, it's the chapter card. It includes a map of every extra feature on the DVD. I bought my copy at Circuit City if it helps any.

BTW, Davis DVD is reporting a 10/19 street date for the Hellboy Director's Cut.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I bought this today and, my GOD!, was there some low frequencies going on in that "The Forgotten" trailer! My house was rattling! I'd like to see a waterfall chart of that.

On to Hellboy, I liked the movie. I thought a few of the scenes seemed to be cut short and I bet they'll be fleshed out in the DC. Overall, I am happy with the purchase. That assassin guy with the gas mask was really cool character.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks