What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Disney Treasures - On The Front Lines, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
Wow!

I just finished viewing this DVD and as someone indicated earlier, I'm shocked but glad that Disney released this without any alterations. Although they are politically incorrect, it will have been a shame for Disney altering them or keeping them locked up.

The propaganda shorts such as "Der Fuehrer's Face", "Chicken Little", "Reason and Emotion" and "Education for Death" left me speechless and the feature movie "Victory through Air Power" was enjoyable.

Kudos Disney for an excellent release:emoji_thumbsup: This should be in the running for one of the best DVD of the year category.

richardWI

Second Unit
Outstanding set of DVDs. The emblem gallery and the Gremlins stuff is way cool. It's kind of sad to see Roy Disney being interviewed, knowing that this was probably one of the last Disney projects he had a hand in before leaving the company in disgust. He did some good things and seems fully aware of the historical legacy and responsiblities the company should live up to.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
You know what I was afraid that this set would let me down since I was so hyped for it, but after watching Der Fuerur Face*SP and Education of Death... Wow those two shorts are worth the price right off the bat. Quite amazing, I'm still a little shocked after watching Education of Death. I haven't watch victory through the air yet, the only other short I've watch is Fall out - Fall in. Truely the walt disney Treasure sets live up to the name

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
David Boulet~

Thank you for the awesome review! It was the reason I went out and bought this set. I loved it! It's entertaining and educational. I wish I would've had it when I was younger during school because I would've been much more willing to learn about WWII.

I'm scared to read your other reviews because then I'll have to go buy those sets too:)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
David, let me scare you without you having to read any reviews: BUY THE OTHER SETS! NOW!!!!!!!!

Just a suggestion... :D

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I know I'll end up getting Vol. 2 of Mickey in Living Color cause I have volume one........dang it, dang it, dang it, I shouldn't read these reviews....

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
At least in my opinion, this could be the most important DVD release of the year - or ever...

Even though I had seen most of the theatrical films of this set before (with some important exceptions - Victory through Air Power, Education for Death and Reason and Emotion), it's almost unbelievable that we got this package - practically for free. ~$30 for this is nothing - I tell you - nothing! :D

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
An observation:

Digital Eyes has posted "THIS TITLE IS OUT OF PRINT OR IS NO LONGER CARRIED BY DIGITAL EYES"

DVD Planet lists the title as a "STUDIO HOLD"

I'm not trying to cause a panic, but Disney released 250,000 of these sets less than two weeks ago. What's up? I know that these two etailers use the same distribution center (also used by Deep Discount--which appears to have it in stock), so it may simply be a distribution problem.

Either way, Best Prices.com lists an inventory of 1,445 copies, so I have to believe it is still plentiful.

Just curious.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I ordered my copies of the entire set of 4 WDT titles from NorthAmericanDVD.com the week it came out, and so far only two have arrived - Walt Disney On The Front Lines and Mickey Mouse In Living Color vol. 2. I emailed them and ask what had happened to the other two titles and they said they were on backorder (already?) but would be shipping once they got a resupply. Considering I got them at the bargain basement price of $19.99US each, I can wait a while. But not TOO long. If I haven't heard from them by the end of next week, I may cancel my order and pick them up locally at retail.

But so far, Walt Disney On The Front Lines is EXCELLENT. I'm a history buff, particularly of World War II, Hollywood, and films, and this is just a damn gold mine for me. The fact that there's been so much restoration on these films just has me giddy. I've been wanting to see Victory Through Air Power and Der Fuehrer's Face for decades (having only read about them previously), and now I finally OWN these puppies! :D

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

When I called Deep Discount DVD to ask about exchanging a set with a defective disc, they told me they didn't have ANY of the Disney Treasures sets anymore. (They did offer to give me a refund, though.)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review, it's always great to see stuff like this getting it's due respect. These are probably more timeless than many of the war movies from the 40's and 50's, as many of those appear so dated by today's standards. Some of these get you to thinking what Disney could have done if he/they would have tackled more serious subject matter.

I wonder if their Chicken Little remake will be as timely and thought provoking as this original was.

"Undermine the faith of the masses in their leaders".

Great, dark material there. This is what Disney always should have been doing, since most Fairy Tales were very dark in nature and didn't speak down to children. Something tells me that you interpret the "CL" story differently than some might, but I think this just highlights how the political/social philosophies of many have changed since the W.W.II days.

I'm sure some modern audiences won't like the Axis Nations being portrayed as classically evil Disney villains, but it is indeed a classic story of two drastically opposite forces preparing for battle; brought to you Disney style.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Arrrrrgh!

I still haven't gotten my sets which means either the US mail lost them or USC mail lost them, because according to the USPS tracking number it was delivered to Los Angeles a week ago Friday! and amazon is already out of Tomorrowland!

GRRRR.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks