What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "About Schmidt" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Al_S

Second Unit
About Schmidt is not a feel-good film. It
forces you to view the world through the eyes of
a real, often sad man -- someone who you may be
able to identify with. It could also very easily
be a film about any one of us at the end of our
days
I saw this one at theater and you hit the nail on the head. It's a very sad movie about a nobody with a nobody life.

Dion C

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this film in the theater on a sad, introspective evening, and I have to say, it has become one of my special movie memories. (It seems, for me, that those "special movie memories" always seem to correlate the film seen with the time in one's life when the film was first experienced. Sorta like a special song from a special time in your life.)

Nicholson's performance was pitch-perfect, IMO, and the pacing and tone (deliberately slow and low-key) made it feel more like I was eavesdropping than watching a movie.

Along with Nicholson's work, I thought Hope Davis's performance as Schmidt's daughter was great. Her character struck me as a getting-older-now young woman trying to hold out hope for some semblance of happiness and a salve for loneliness -- even if the guy she settles on isn't exactly Mr. Perfect. I thought Davis hit the character's quiet resignation just right.

I'll definitely be getting the disc. Thanks for the review, Ron. Excellent as always.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I, for one, am glad that New Line chose to put DTS on this title.

When well done, it doesn't matter if the genre is drama or sci-fi or action. The dialog and music IMHO are usually an improvement over the DD track. I don't understand why DTS seems to be needed "only" when it's not a drama or comedy.

Great movie, and I'll be picking it up! :D

Dan

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
As life-long Omaha native I am truly looking forward to purchasing this film.

The film is a quirky dramedy. It is definitely more of a small sort of arthouse movie.

A lot of the bandwagon jumpers here in Omaha (who never go to movies) said on the way out of the theater that they "didn't really care for the movie."

That is likely because Schmidt's life tends to fall on the rather sullen and moribund scale at the beginning of the film. It makes Omaha look like a bleak midwestern city.

Personally, I loved it. It was fun to see some of the great locales in the movie. The same could be said for my experience when watching "Election".

My only complaint about the disc is that there isn't a commentary by Alexander Payne. I would really like to hear a commentary by a filmmaker who is from Omaha about a film that was filmed in Omaha.

The funeral scenes were filmed at John A. Gentleman Mortuary -- a block-and-a-half from my house. The scenes at the college in the film were filmed at University of Nebraska at Kearney. Omaha eating establishments were used for both Omaha and Denver locales.

Films aren't often shot in Omaha. It is a real treat that one of the caliber of "About Schmidt" was. I recommend this film for those who enjoy quirky character studies.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Hate to break the bubble here, but does this movie have any 'splosions? If not, then I'm not buying. :p)

Umm yeah, this may be a good movie for some, a tear-jerker for others, but movies like this just aren't my cup of tea.

I generally don't care how good a movie is or is supposed to be, or how much praise or discourse a movie gets, if I don't like the genre, I don't watch (or go) and I certainly won't buy.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Umm yeah, this may be a good movie for some, a tear-jerker for others, but movies like this just aren't my cup of tea.

I generally don't care how good a movie is or is supposed to be, or how much praise or discourse a movie gets, if I don't like the genre, I don't watch (or go) and I certainly won't buy.
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but how do you know if it's not your cup of tea if you don't watch any films of that genre? I prefer to watch films of every genre. My only criteria is that it needs to be a good film. Let's face it: There are good action movies and lousy ones. There are top-notch dramas and lame "Lifetime Movie Network" soap operas. There are great comedies and total duds. You're missing out on some fantastic films if you limit yourself to only flicks with "'splosions", IMHO. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I completely agree with Mark in that you have every right to like and dislike any film genre.

What puzzles me is that you would bother to take the time to even read a review of a film type that you have not intention of ever seeing. And to take the trouble of posting is even more puzzling.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This was a movie I was planning on buying sight-unseen anyway, but after Jack's tirade in Game 3 of the Lakers/Spurs series I really have to buy this one! :D

Thanks for the review, Ron!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hate to break the bubble here, but does this movie have any 'splosions? If not, then I'm not buying.

My bubble is burst! And all this time I assumed you liked any movie that I liked! Oh well...

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Just picked up the DVD today, and it comes with an insert from Childreach.org, the organization Schmidt contributes to in the film! ("Meet the real Ndugu!" it says on the front.) A real nice touch, and gives a chance for more people to help those that truly need it.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I picked this up this morning...have yet to take a look at it.

This film isn't for everyone. It is sort of a brooding, moody, melancholy movie. That said, I feel that it is one of Nicholson's best performances.

This is a subdued Nicholson playing a character that actually seems to transcend his persona. This isn't Jack merely playing Jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks