What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time April 2019 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
post-269895-0-41275100-1443955504-jpeg.55072

Twilight Time has given us an exclusive early look at these April Announcements. Enjoy!
If you see these titles posted elsewhere within 8 HOURS without credit being given to HTF, rest assured it came from us first! 
screen-shot-2019-02-08-at-8-59-24-am-png.55073

MELVIN AND HOWARD (1980) BLU-RAY — April 16
THE PAPER CHASE (1973) BLU-RAY — April 16 [Brand-New 4K Restoration]
THE SNAKE PIT (1948) BLU-RAY — April 16 [2017 4K Restoration]
STAGECOACH (1966) BLU-RAY — April 16

Continue reading...

Attachments

• post-269895-0-41275100-1443955504.jpeg
    post-269895-0-41275100-1443955504.jpeg
    2.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 8.59.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 8.59.24 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 268
Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Stagecoach for sure and depending on any extras, maybe Melvin And Howard and The Snake Pit when they go on sale in the $14.99 range. I disliked The Paper Chase!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
STAGECOACH has a UK edition that features a commentary, and I almost bought it. Now I will await TT's special features announcement. THE SNAKE PIT is a wonderful psychological thriller -- glad to see it getting a HD treatment. I liked THE PAPER CHASE for three elements: the irascible Professor Kingsfield character played by John Houseman, who doesn't get enough screen time but nonetheless won an Oscar, Lindsay Wagner, who is just drop-dead gorgeous here, and a pleasant John Williams score The rest of the film I can take or leave. MELVIN AND HOWARD didn't excite me when I first saw it...I might enjoy it now. This is the best TT lineup IMO for many months, and I wish Mr. Redman was still around to break the bottle across their Blu-ray bow.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I liked THE PAPER CHASE for three elements: the irascible Professor Kingsfield character played by John Houseman, who doesn't get enough screen time but nonetheless won an Oscar, Lindsay Wagner, who is just drop-dead gorgeous here, and a pleasant John Williams score The rest of the film I can take or leave.
That's exactly how I responded to the film! I would like to see it again and I just might buy this disc if it's up to Twilight Time's usual high standard.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never cared for "Stagecoach" as I didn't like the lead nor enjoyed Crosby in it. If it had Steve McQueen instead of Cord and another actor playing Doc, then I would like it much more. I guess unfairly, I keep comparing it to the 1939 film and it just doesn't measure up except for Ann-Margret.:blush: As to the other three titles, all are definite buys for me as I consider "The Snake Pit" a great film while the other two are good films in my opinion.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Stagecoach and The Paper Chase are both flawed productions, at least in my opinion, for all of the reasons already discussed. That said, I think they're both worth another glance on Blu as neither is a total disaster. Interesting TT should announce The Snake Pit - which I love - as Indicator has just announced it too in the UK, albeit, in a region B locked release, along with Dragonwyck. Can't wait to get my hands on this deep catalog release.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Nothing on here for me. I remember watching The Snake Pit and liking it but not enough to buy. As far as Stagecoach, prefer the 1939 version better.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wish Fallen Angel with their 2K or 4K scan would be announced. I know that one was in queue at some point ! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yup, Alex Cord is no John Wayne, in fact every roll I can think of is better cast in the 1939 film.
That was my first opinion after seeing it at my local movie theater back in my youth. I've kind of warmed up to Ann-Margret, but the rest of the cast, not so much. TBH, I was an unabashed John Wayne fan then so the 1966 version never had a chance with me. However, I'm now just a little bit more mature in my thought process so I don't have the same level of negative thoughts about the 1966 film now as compared to then.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Yay for Stagecoach '66!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this means they got the new transfer they were waiting on! I have to be the weird person that actually prefers the '66 version over the '39 film. I will agree with everybody else that Alex Cord is not as good as John Wayne. He just isn't. And while I do have mixed feelings about the rest of the cast, I LIKE Bing Crosby as Doc Boone, and I'll take him over Thomas Mitchell any day of the week!

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I’m in for the Paper Chase and Stagecoach. I literally know nothing about the other two although I liked Paul Le Mat in American Grafitti.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
MV5BNTdmM2Q4ZWItM2U5ZS00MDVhLThiNDMtZDA3OTliNzEwNTgxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
Jonathan Demme's MELVIN AND HOWARD! Fantastic news!!!. Mary Steenbergen's Oscar winning performance! ( Steenburgen tap dancing to the Stones "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" makes me laugh every time I see it. Clearly Mary's "tap number" in" Book Club" was a homage to that .
Oscar winning screenplay.. Bo Goldman
Jason Robards as Howard Hughes was also Oscar nominated.
Melvin and Howard swept the critics awards..

Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role
1981 · Mary Steenburgen

Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay
1981 · Bo Goldman

Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture
1981 · Mary Steenburgen

National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actress
1981 · Mary Steenburgen

New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Director
, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay
1980 · Jonathan Demme, Mary Steenburgen, Bo Goldman

National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Screenplay
1981 · Bo Goldman

National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Film

Writers Guild of America Award for Best Original Drama
1981 · Bo Goldman

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks