What's new

DVD Review HTF DVD REVIEW: Porky's - The Ultimate Collection (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
ronsreviews_covers_83207.jpg

PORKY’S
THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION

Porky’s
Porky’s II: The Next Day
Porky’s Revenge

Studio: 20th Century Fox
Original Release: 1982, 1983, 1985
Length: 98/98/93min
Genre: Comedy

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 widescreen enhanced
Colour/B&W: Colour

Audio:
English Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
English Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo
Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
French Dolby Digital 2.0 mono (Porky’s Revenge only)

Subtitles: English, Spanish
U.S. Film Rating: R

Release Date: May 22, 2007.

Collection Rating: :star: :star: :star:
htf_images_smilies_half.gif
/ :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Starring: Dan Monahan (Pee Wee), Mark Herrier (Billy), Wyatt Knight (Tommy), Roger Wilson (Mickey), Cyril O’Reilly (Tim), Tony Ganios (Meat), Kaki Hunter (Wendy), Kim Kattral (Honeywell)

Written by: Bob Clark
Directed by: Bob Clark

You’ll be glad you came!

I really don’t think I need to introduce this collection. If hearing the name Porky’s doesn’t immediately make you think of that little ‘80s flick that seemed to have started the sex comedy film genre, then you are probably single, a virgin, and are still having wet dreams. If this is the case, move on to my review of Big for a tamer teenage discovery film. But if Porky’s helped you become a grown man or woman in one way or another during adolescence (since this isn’t just a man’s sex comedy), then read on.

Director Bob Clark wrote and directed this comedy with an armful of true stories of sexual experiences that took place at his high school in southern Florida when he young. He added a few more stories from people he met across the U.S. and turned them into hilarious moments. It resulted in a highly successful ‘50s era film of high school boys wanting to get laid and wanting to see some T&A at a redneck strip joint called Porky’s. Instead of getting screwed like they hoped, they got screwed over by the joint instead. While revenge is definitely on the itinerary, much happens before this. High school racial tensions, family issues, practical pranks and the famous shower peeping scene are all tied nicely together while each character is respected and likable. It’s a classic that doesn’t age. While the sequels tried to ride on the success of the first film (and failed for the most part), this ultimate collection of all three films is great to have.

Fox has given these films a bit of a special treatment. There aren’t many special features in this Ultimate Collection, but fans will be happy to know that Porky’s II and Porky’s Revenge are finally presented in their original aspect ratios or 1.85:1. That’s right! No more 1.33:1 full screen viewings. You can ditch those VHS copies that you’ve been reluctant to replace with fullscreen DVDs. It’s all packaged quite nicely too. It’s has a lenticular cover of a red-illuminated female leg with a gartered stocking. Each disc is in its own slimcase allowing the box set to take up as little space as possible. The first film is also available separately as Porky’s: One Size Fits All edition.

[Note: I’m going to look back at an old copy I have on Betamax just to compare a few nude shots in the first film that I thought may have been slightly different (after all, it was the nude shots that make these films so memorable!). I haven’t seen this film in probably 15 years so maybe it’s my memory isn’t as clear as I thought it was, but I’m almost sure that something is slightly different during the run from Cherry’s house as well as the shower scene. If anyone can confirm or deny this before I find that tape that would be great! Discuss it here!]

VIDEO QUALITY: 3/5
:star: :star: :star:

All three films score a 3/5 for their video presentation. The image is soft but not blurry, clearly a limitation of the source material. The source is fairly clean of major artefacts just dirt or heavy grain. Artefacts such as edge enhancement and compression are virtually absent. I’m surprised on how clean it was: good job Fox. The overall look of all three films is consistent; the muted ‘80s colour, average image contrast, weaker black levels – again all source related because of the limited budgets back in the day - but I’m sure this is as good as it’s ever going to get and it’s the best that’s ever been presented on DVD. To be specific, Porky’s is slightly less defined than its sequels. All are presented in their original aspect ratios of 1.85:1 and are enhanced for widescreen televisions. The black area is at the top of the screen.

AUDIO QUALITY: 3/5 :star: :star: :star:

Stereo and mono audio options are available for all films. I listed to the mono versions just to get that original theatrical experience, although the stereo versions do have a slight bit of stereo separation (fake stereo) with a bit of pull to the left or right channels when needed. The audio is clear and dialogue intelligible, the music doesn’t sound too restrained either. Like the video, the audio of Porky’s is behind that of the other two films. Porky’s II and Porky’s Revenge sound much more detailed, the latter being the best of them with articulate sound effects. I don’t mind the mono sound; being a film set in the ‘50s, why not listen to the audio used mostly in that day.

TACTILE FUN!! ZERO / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
TACTILE TRANSDUCER ON/OFF?: OFF

No LFE channel.

SPECIAL FEATURES: 1.5/5 :star:
htf_images_smilies_half.gif

All of the special features are on the Porky’s: One Size Fits All disc. You’ll get to hear a commentary from Bob Clark. He can be a bit quiet through the film but you’ll hear a lot related to the ideas of the film being translated to screen. Actually, when listening to the commentary I found a lot of it was repeated in the discussion featurettes Porky’s through the Peephole: Bob Clark Looks Back (15.09, 16:9) and Porky’s: A Comedy Classic (11.19, 16:9). The latter features two comedians reflecting on the film’s classic moments.

Theatrical trailers are widescreen enhanced but the TV Spots are missing the voiceover. You’ll also get to see a Porky’s Videogame Sales Promotional Video (4.46, 4:3) for the Atari 2600. Nice! Check out those graphics! The other two discs include the same theatrical trailers as this disc, as wells as one for Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise.

IN THE END...

I don’t know about you, but I’m happy Fox finally released this overdue box set. For some of us it’s a great look back to the past. It’s packaged nicely as well as presented as good as it can get in their original aspect ratios. Guaranteed a good time!

Michael Osadciw
May 21, 2007.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Thank you very much for the review! You have no idea how long I've wanted these films on DVD! I avoided buying the Fox double feature consisting of the first two films for fear that the 3rd might never get released. I was also disappointed last year when Maple (Canadian distributor) released the three movies in full screen, with crappy quality to boot. Now that I know all three are presented OAR, I'm definitely on the bandwagon.

What stinks though is that I have to get it imported. Fox didn't see fit to release this set in Canada. Regardless, after reading your review, I'm more exstatic than ever. I'll pay whatever price I have to.

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
I too am glad this is finally available in OAR.
I refused to buy the 4:3 versions out there now.

Will definitely search this out online, or buy it next time I'm in Seattle.

Sad considering Bob Clark's recent death (early April) at the hands of a drunk driver :frowning:

Sam H

Second Unit
A bit of a pervy question, but is all of the nudity 100% intact in this new 16x9 version? The 16x9 frame cut out some of the 'goods' from the first Porky's movie .

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well last weekend I managed to win an Ebay auction for this set! Dirt cheap too. It should probably be here within the next week or two. I am so excited about owning these on DVD finally! All I can say is, where there's a will, there's a way.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I think there are several others here who'd like to know if the original widescreen presentation (as on this new set) restores missing picture area from the old full-screen presentations, or if it actually crops out footage (as was the case on Mischief).

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I finally received my set a few days ago. Although I've never seen any previous 16x9 versions of "Porky's", in this version there was............shall we say........so much wool you could knit a sweater. lol. As for the scene with the prank where they all run out of the house naked.........all is clearly visible there was well. In the bonus feature "Porky's: A Comedy Classic", both scenes are shown a number of times as well.

But anyway I have to say, watching "Porky's" again today was like watching it for the first time. I previously owned them on crappy VHS tapes. Although not pristine, the picture quality was better than I'd ever seen it before. Also like I said, this was my first time seeing it in widescreen. Definitely a treat!! I plan on watching parts II & III later tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks