What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Watchmen: Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I knew that the sound was low, especially the center channel, so thanks for confirming it.
Originally Posted by TheBat

the watchmen hasa DTS HD track. it set at 24, which mean the sound is a bit low or something. its more about the mastering of the bluray then actors mumbling..

dark night is a different story.

Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
your welcome.
I only had problems with watchmen and iron man. the others were fine.

Jacob

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

When I saw The Dark Knight, I literally had to rewind each scene to listen again so I could try to figure out what the hell Christian Bale was going on about. Terrible.
I understood every word he said in TDK without a single problem so either your hearing is bad or your system is set up incorrectly.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought some of the gore was a bit excessive. While I thought it could have been handled with more finesse, the arm cutting with the angle grinder did at least have some rooting in the story. It escapes me why directors today seem to think everything has to be on display. DePalma certainly didn't shy away from showing bloodshed in "Scarface" but even he didn't graphically show the chainsawing in the motel bathroom. I thought he very effectively decribed what was happening with just a bunch of blood spatter hitting Montana.

The bit of gore that I thought was totally unneeded in WATCHMEN was in the restaurant

when Mahattan annihilates a group of Mobsters. Showing the bits and pieces clinging to the ceiling served no purpose other than fan service for gorehounds.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

I said that maybe you have to be real young to like this movie. I don't find that condescending or derogatory
Oh, please. When you make a comment like that, you strongly imply only someone young 'n' ignorant could like the movie. It's big-time condescension.

The truth is that someone "real young" would probably be bored. It's a long movie, and one that lacks a ton of slam-bang action. It also semi-requires a knowledge of modern history, something someone "real young" will probably lack.

If you don't like the movie, that's fine - I like it well enough, but I'm not a huge fan. It IS possible to express your opinion without insulting others, though...

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
This is always the answer, isn't it? The hearing or the system is bad. Well, the hearing and system is good enough for me to understand every word of every actor in every film (including one in which there are accents being used) made prior to the year 2000. Michael Keaton as Batman - understand every word. Jack Nicholson in Chinatown? No problem. Everyone in Donner's Superman? Easy. Cary Grant, James Mason, and Eva Marie Saint in North By Northwest - why I can quote almost every line. Christian Bale in The Dark Knight - sorry.
Originally Posted by Brent M

I understood every word he said in TDK without a single problem so either your hearing is bad or your system is set up incorrectly.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Oh, please yourself. You read into my statement what you wish to - I certainly didn't use the word "ignorant" nor did I imply ignorant because if I'd meant to imply it I would have used the word. Just accept the explanation and move along, there's nothing to see here other than trying to strongly imply something that wasn't strongly implied or said. Discuss the film, not your interpretation of a post that has already been explained to you. Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson

Oh, please. When you make a comment like that, you strongly imply only someone young 'n' ignorant could like the movie. It's big-time condescension.

The truth is that someone "real young" would probably be bored. It's a long movie, and one that lacks a ton of slam-bang action. It also semi-requires a knowledge of modern history, something someone "real young" will probably lack.

If you don't like the movie, that's fine - I like it well enough, but I'm not a huge fan. It IS possible to express your opinion without insulting others, though...

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Hey, it's the internet and a discussion board - what else is new? I also don't consider two or three people "so many." But that's just me :)

Originally Posted by TravisR

While you certainly didn't say "ignorant", it's odd that so many people came to the same conclusion when you intended it as such an innocent comment.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll attempt to get this discussion back on track. ).

I do have a few questions, though, for those people more familiar with the material:

1. Did any of the characters other than Dr. Manhattan have "super powers"? While it appeared that Ozymandias may have, it was not evident if any of the others did.

2. It seemed to be implied that Dr. Manhattan's presence in Vietnam helped with Nixon gaining extra terms in office. Did I read that correctly? If so, did the Watergate scandal either never happen or was never uncovered in this "universe"?

Shane D

Supporting Actor
only manhatten had powers. ozy was just really really smart and physically fit (how that fits with the actor they got to play him is another story)

i think your right on manhattan cemeted everything for nixon, because he was the only president that asked him to intervene. Also i think this nixon was better at covering stuff up, it wasn't shown in the movie, but rumors placed nixon with the comedian in dallas the day of the assasination. So the ability to keep that covered and kept watergate under wraps helped him get term limits changed, after all, he was the president that won veitnam.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

2. It seemed to be implied that Dr. Manhattan's presence in Vietnam helped with Nixon gaining extra terms in office. Did I read that correctly? If so, did the Watergate scandal either never happen or was never uncovered in this "universe"?
In the comic, they talk about how they a couple of Washington Post reporters were found murdered in a parking garage so Woodward and Bernstein didn't get to expose Watergate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks