What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Watchmen: Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper

I remember reading that the PS3 video game "Watchmen: The End is Nigh" was going to be included on the Blu-Ray. I see no evidence that this happened. Did that get scrapped, or maybe it's a future BD-Live update?
That is it's own separate edition with an MSRP of 49.99. The packaging on it looked rather neat at Best Buy with it's translucent plastic slipcover and digipak-ish case.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Cameron - Spot on review, in every regard. I watched this for the first time over the weekend and was extremely impressed. I found the whole experience fascinating and was utterly engrossed the whole way through. There were flaws for sure, but in an odd way they made the film better (I could explain what I mean, but I would need to write a whole new review). Overall, excellent film and one that I look forward to watching again and again.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /forum/thread/290416/htf-blu-ray-review-watchmen-director-s-cut#post_3587762

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
No trailers? Fail.
No viral videos? Fail.

Sure, two of the viral videos are on the BD-Live, but it's not like there isn't room for them.

Worse yet (imho) is the UK disc (also released in AUS) was announced as having the four viral videos. It doesn't. It has one. At least announce the damn disc correctly.

At least I got the theatrical cut in 1080p as well as the DC. Sure, it took two copies from two countries, but hey, that's life.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Wow, last time I ever listen to anyone on this forum :) What a bad movie. Bad acting, bad directing, worse writing - I don't care about the graphic novel and whether it was better or worse - this thing is just amateur night, and I'm astonished anyone likes anything about it - but maybe you have to be real young or something. The disc certainly looks good, but the sound is weird and low, especially the dialog, although that didn't matter since I couldn't understand one word anyone was saying. I'm glad some people like this sort of thing - for me, a complete waste of time, and nosing around on the internet it looks like critics didn't take to it too much and I guess it was a box-office disappointment, too, so I am not alone, I suppose.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

Wow, last time I ever listen to anyone on this forum :) What a bad movie. Bad acting, bad directing, worse writing - I don't care about the graphic novel and whether it was better or worse - this thing is just amateur night, and I'm astonished anyone likes anything about it - but maybe you have to be real young or something. The disc certainly looks good, but the sound is weird and low, especially the dialog, although that didn't matter since I couldn't understand one word anyone was saying. I'm glad some people like this sort of thing - for me, a complete waste of time, and nosing around on the internet it looks like critics didn't take to it too much and I guess it was a box-office disappointment, too, so I am not alone, I suppose.
You can certainly have any opinion but this was not a bad movie, it was a movie YOU didn't like, this is not the definition of "bad movie".

the acting was very good.

I especially like Crudup's Manhattan.
I'm surely not real young or something.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Did you think I was speaking for somebody else. Unlike others who frequent these forums, I only speak for myself, so I'm glad I can have any opinion, which in this case is quite negative as regards this film.

Originally Posted by TonyD

You can certainly have any opinion but this was not a bad movie, it was a movie YOU didn't like, this is not the definition of "bad movie".

the acting was very good.

I especially like Crudup's Manhattan.
I'm surely not real young or something.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons

(...) so I'm glad I can have any opinion, which in this case (...)
Yes, it's rather obvious that you're very glad with that. Even to the point that you want to publish your opinion on boards like this forum (which of course were indeed created for that exact purpose, amongst others).

You even seem so glad with your opinion that you deem it fit to express it in terms that are derogatory and condescending to others who happen to have a different opinion (liking the movie Watchmen, for example). It almost looks as if you look down on those opinions and those people and that you're not so glad they have an opinion too.

One of the other things this forum was created for, is to intelligently discuss opinions. Your wording of yours seems to be aimed at practically closing that door.
That's a pity.

Cees

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Going to hold off on this until the UCE comes in December. Glad to see The Bits' confirmation of that, and that it will include both Black Freighter and the motion comic. Here's hoping the package looks like a mini version of the Absolute hardcover edition of the graphic novel.

FWIW, I thought the theatrical version was pretty darn good.

Shane D

Supporting Actor

but the sound is weird and low, especially the dialog, although that didn't matter since I couldn't understand one word anyone was saying.
this because of the volume or because you just didn't get the story? i had no problem with dialogue on my set up.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I said that maybe you have to be real young to like this movie. I don't find that condescending or derogatory, just how I feel. If some older folks like this one, great (which is what I said). I can't really discuss it beyond that point because I loathed every minute of the film. Perhaps if I had been born in the 1990s or 1980s and responded to this sort of thing, maybe I'd love it, hence my comment about maybe having to be young. And for the record, I don't like the current Batman movies (and that includes The Dark Knight) or any of these angst-ridden superhero films. My idea of a good superhero film is Richard Donner's Superman.

Originally Posted by Cees Alons

Yes, it's rather obvious that you're very glad with that. Even to the point that you want to publish your opinion on boards like this forum (which of course were indeed created for that exact purpose, amongst others).

You even seem so glad with your opinion that you deem it fit to express it in terms that are derogatory and condescending to others who happen to have a different opinion (liking the movie Watchmen, for example). It almost looks as if you look down on those opinions and those people and that you're not so glad they have an opinion too.

One of the other things this forum was created for, is to intelligently discuss opinions. Your wording of yours seems to be aimed at practically closing that door.
That's a pity.

Cees

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
It's because the dialogue was a little low, but also because the actors in this film (and others like it) mumble so much that, for me, it's really hard to understand what they're saying. I have this problem with a lot of today's actors - and never have the problem with that sort of thing even from ten years ago. It's a now actor thing, this deep-voiced mumbling, and I don't like it.
Originally Posted by Shane D

this because of the volume or because you just didn't get the story? i had no problem with dialogue on my set up.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Personally, I still haven't decided whether I actually like Watchmen -- at least the theatrical version when I saw it the one time -- and it's not because I don't care for this type of comic book/graphic novel films either. But I'll find out soon enough about the director's cut...

_Man_

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
while I agree that watchmen is not for everyone. its certainly better then 90 percent of the movies out there this summer. I did like the theatre version, however I found the directors cut to be much better.

Jacob

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman /forum/thread/290416/htf-blu-ray-review-watchmen-director-s-cut/30#post_3591049

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Or better yet, get a director who's not afraid to tell the actors not to mumble. Funny, I don't have this problem when watching Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, Cary Grant, James Stewart, Robert Ryan, William Holden, Audrey or Kathryn Hepburn, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Randolph Scott, Joel McCrea, John Wayne, and about a thousand other good actors. No, I only have this problem from actors in the last decade - both in films and on TV - it's become the "style" and it's just bad. When I saw The Dark Knight, I literally had to rewind each scene to listen again so I could try to figure out what the hell Christian Bale was going on about. Terrible.

Originally Posted by Brent M ">[/url]

Time to turn up the hearing aid, grandpa.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the watchmen hasa DTS HD track. it set at 24, which mean the sound is a bit low or something. its more about the mastering of the bluray then actors mumbling..

dark night is a different story.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks