What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Alice in Wonderland (1951) - 60th Anniversary Edition (Combo Pack) (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
WTF? The offer is live as of 7:30 PST this morning, so I tried to get my coupon (I have the Masterpiece DVD)... and the Disney Rewards site blocked me with an error message that I'd "already redeemed this offer." I cleared all my Disney-related cookies and tried again. Same thing. I cleared the cookies again, set my wife up with a Disney Rewards account of her own, and tried again... same damned thing. Seriously, what the hell?

I fired off an email... we'll see what happens.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Craig Beam

WTF? The offer is live as of 7:30 PST this morning, so I tried to get my coupon (I have the Masterpiece DVD)... and the Disney Rewards site blocked me with an error message that I'd "already redeemed this offer." I cleared all my Disney-related cookies and tried again. Same thing. I cleared the cookies again, set my wife up with a Disney Rewards account of her own, and tried again... same damned thing. Seriously, what the hell?

I fired off an email... we'll see what happens.

I had the same problem so it's definitely a site issue. Thanks for confirming that as it happened to me a good two hours ago.

Crawdaddy

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Seems as though they're aware of the issue so no need to get the pitchforks out quite yet. The DMR Facebook page has the following update as of about 45 minutes ago:

[SIZE= 11px]Please know we are looking into the problem with the Alice coupon. We'll let you all know as soon as we have a fix in place![/SIZE]

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I agree with you Matt. My favorite three Disney animated films are: "Pinocchio", "Alice in Wonderland" and "Peter Pan". I will definitely be adding "Alice in Wonderland" to my collection.

I wonder when "Peter Pan" will get a release on blu-ray.

Originally Posted by MattH.
Disney may not consider Alice in Wonderland one of its premiere titles, but I certainly do: a rollicking, tuneful, and splendid animated rendition of the Lewis Carroll classic...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Just out of curiosity: What clips from Song of the South are in One Hour in Wonderland?

IIRC, all it had was "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah".

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Just out of curiosity: What clips from Song of the South are in One Hour in Wonderland?

[/QUOTE]

Not correct. It begins with the song sequence for "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" and then continues into the Brer Rabbit tale in its entirety (where he gets caught in the rope trap). The clips in the show are presented in color even though the actual broadcast is in black and white.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by MattH.

[/QUOTE]

Not correct. It begins with the song sequence for "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" and then continues into the Brer Rabbit tale in its entirety (where he gets caught in the rope trap). The clips in the show are presented in color even though the actual broadcast is in black and white.

I guess I didn't recall correctly.

But I also recall that that special had a Mickey Mouse cartoon called "Clock Cleaners," which has a line by Donald Duck that was changed in its Walt Disney Treasures presentation. Originally he said "says who?" but since someone claimed that sounded like a request to go make babies, the WDT version overdubbed it with "aw, nuts" from another cartoon, where Pluto is barking over the line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_Cleaners#Censorship_and_Bans

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Can't get it to play on my Panasonic BD30, and I have the most recent firmware. It reads and loads up until it displays the "Walt Disney Studios" logo screen with the castle. After that it locks up. Open/close won't work, either from the remote or the unit. I have to shut down and restart by holding down the power button on the unit. I suppose I'll first return it to Amazon for an exchange and see what happens.

goteam007

Grip
Real Name
Bob
Has anyone played the game yet? Usually the added games are bad and unnecessary, but this one is actually fun. Also the extra One Hour in Wonderland has a lot of footage from Song of the South. That kind of surprised me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Paul Penna

Can't get it to play on my Panasonic BD30, and I have the most recent firmware. It reads and loads up until it displays the "Walt Disney Studios" logo screen with the castle. After that it locks up. Open/close won't work, either from the remote or the unit. I have to shut down and restart by holding down the power button on the unit. I suppose I'll first return it to Amazon for an exchange and see what happens.

I reviewed it on a Panasonic BD-80. I know that's two generations after the BD-30, but it did play on mine without a hiccup.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey

"Alice in Wonderland" played fine in my Panny BD30. You must have gotten a faulty disc.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul

Originally Posted by Terry Hickey 

"Alice in Wonderland" played fine in my Panny BD30.  You must have gotten a faulty disc.

Just got the replacement from Amazon; same problem. Player locks up after the logo. Any suggestions? 

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey

Just got the replacement from Amazon; same problem. Player locks up after the logo. Any suggestions?

Did you try cleaning the disc, maybe there is a light film on it that is causing the problem. Or try Disney Customer Service and see if they'll send a replacement disc.

I bought mine at Walmart and it plays fine. Maybe some other fellow member with a Panny BD30 will chime in and say if they have or haven't had problems playing

their disc.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Lots of reports of Panasonic players (30/35 particularly) having trouble with AIW. Some folks say if you play it with the "Animated Side Bar" art on it works fine, but not with the normal

black bars

Another report suggests this though it doesn't work for everyone:

"When you first insert the disc, it automatically plays a number of previews. A menu bar is available at the bottom of the screen. If the menu bar turns off, you can reactivate it by pressing “OK” or “enter.” The bar includes three options: Play Previews, Menus, and Play Movie. I decided to press Play Movie (with the “OK” button). Lo and behold, within a few seconds the movie began to play! For some reason, the standard version of the movie cannot be activated by pressing PLAY through the standard menu. However, the standard movie can be accessed by pressing PLAY MOVIE on the menu at the bottom of the screen. For some reason, there are issues with accessing certain features (standard movie, special features) through the regular table."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.