HT on the Way.. how did I do

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ozric_smith, Dec 28, 2001.

1. ozric_smith

ozric_smith Agent

Ok after much debate and consideration here is what I got.

32" Sharp - had this -

Samsung HiFi VCR - 69.00

Samsung DVD-N501 - 169.00 - (high geek factor here) the VLM is

Onkyo 595 - 385.00 +sh

JBL NSP1 - 299.00

JBL PB10 - 199.00

JBL FS300-bk stands - 54.99

Wires from old system RS 12G - OF -

2. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I too have the samsung n501,I have had zero problems so far other than needing to upgrade the firmware(which im sure you know about). The VLM is an awesome feature, have you tried the games? I have the logitech controller and iron soldier 3 & ballistic but havent really played much. I didnt buy it for the game feature.
    There is a forum all about this player- forget the address since I am at work now [​IMG] -brian

3. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

For the forum, try nuon-dome.com. I never use the Nuon features either. I guess Nuon went belly up anyway.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For $199, I would have gone with the Sony SA-WM40 for a sub. Far lower bass and more punch, same price or less. Many say the PB12 has tighter bass than the WM40, but that last 5Hz of frequency extension can make a big difference. (It's not important to match the sub brand to the rest of your speakers). Otherwise, sounds good. 595 should do very well, and that's a pretty good price.

5. ozric_smith

ozric_smith Agent

Thanks for the input. I like my n501 so far. I rented Planet of the Apes to check out the Nuon stuff. Seems ok, I got a disk with a bad link tho, had to reload to get to the enhanced stuff. I did the bios update a few minutes after I got it home. the N501 is getting a bad rap for the problems with the older bios, I have see reviews where they did not do the update[​IMG] The games are for the kids, I like my Athlon XP1600 for games. I only play games that work with Linux anyway, like Quake with the Urban Terror mod.
    I got the pb-10 for music. I think the Sony is too boomy.
    Might have been nice to test is with the NSP1 tho. I will do about 50/50 cd's and dvd/cable. So you PB-10 should be ok for me.
    Also I ordered the wrong stands from JandR, I got it fixed before they shiped[​IMG] The ones I got were for another line of JBL's, they don't carry the the N24 stands. I did not want the ones just for the n24/26's anyway, as I will get a pair of S26's or n28's as soon as I can.
    Now I am looking into HDTV's maybe in a few months! I can't wait for my stuff to get here. Happy Happy joy joy.
    Oz

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    27Hz is plenty for music, and the PB10 is adequately powered to produce bass. Since it's for mostly music, I'd say it will do fine.

Planet of the Apes wasn't the best movie, but the DTS track was very impressive.