What's new

HT Acoustics (1 Viewer)

Robert*B

Auditioning
I'm currently finishing off my basement, which will include an area dedicated to a home theater setup. I'd like to use hardwood for the whole basement, but with acoustics in mind, is this is not such a good idea? The HT area will be about 15 x 20, situated in a corner. If I carpet this immediate area and use hardwood on the surrounding areas, should this be ok, or should I forget the idea of hardwood altogether? Any advice is appreciated.
:confused:

Joe Hays

Agent
Robert*B,
First, please define what you mean by "an area dedicated to a home theater setup". Does this mean an area of the entire basement (one big open room) or will this "area" have four walls enclosing it from the rest of the open area?

If this will be one big open room, go ahead with the hardwood floors, just be sure to add an area rug in front of the speakers to absorb some of the reflections. You can experiment with the size and texture of the rug(s), but the larger the area it covers, the less reflections you will have.

If you have one big open area, you will have many other issues. The difference between a large rug or carpeting in your area dedicated to a home theater setup will be very minimal.

Robert*B

Auditioning
Thanks, Joe. The HT area takes up about 1/3 of a larger overall area, and is situated in a corner, with two walls -one for the TV and one side wall. The ceiling height is just under 8'. If I use a decent area rug as you suggest, should I be ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks