What's new

HS10 Calibrations by Michael TLV (1 Viewer)

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
I've noticed that there are many happy Tosh owners that have had Michael out to work on their sets. Are there any HS10 owners that have done the same? I'd appreciate hearing from you. I am considering getting Michael over to have a kick at mine.
Thanks,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Man oh man ... just don't ask me to take that protective screen off ... or I may have to consider homicide ...
Regards
------------------
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael...
No, you are safe from the "dreaded" HS10 screen....My dedicated room is in the basement, and reflective light is not a concern. I was hoping to hear from some of your HS10 customers...but having you answer some questions is as good, if not better.
I have calibrated using Avia, and have roughly 300 hours on the guns. I feel that the picture quality is excellent, especially when my HS10 is doing the "squeeze" on my DVD's. Would I benefit from an ISF calibration? Would the picture improve that dramatically? What about other sources...is DVD the only one to benefit, or will my DSS and cable feeds also improve?
Appreciate all feedback!
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
There will be no responses from those clients with Sony sets for the simple reason that Sony sets whip me into a killing frenzy and by the time I snap out of it, the room is covered in blood and I sneak out of town.
There is always room for jello. Most Sony units that I have worked on have benefitted to some degree, but of course the owners tell no tales. I was rather ambivalent about their performance compared to ... say the Pioneers and the Toshibas until more recently.
Yes, they can be made to look better than where they are, but I can't tell you by how much. No one knows if their set is the one that comes out of the box operating at 60% or 85% ... without a way to compare, how would you ever know.
I did have one customer with the 65" XBR that recently told me when I arrived that ... he did not know what I could do to make it look any better than it already did ...
He had HD playing on the screen ... and after I left ... even his wife saw the difference. (I let the women and children live)
You never know until you get into it ... I cannot convince you of anything here. You have to make up your own mind.
Do you do it ... will he over power you too and kill you?
Ooops ... I'm on some weird death kick.
Regards
------------------
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
The HS10 series is very DIY friendly. With a few hours and resources like Link Removed , you too can make your HS10 look MUCH better than out-of-the-box! The only thing that a DIY'er really can't do with any reliability is grayscale calibration. Apparently, Sony's "NTSC" setting is close, but no cigar.
One answer I'd like about my 53HS10 is why "black" is slightly brighter in NTSC mode compared to the other picture temp settings, HIGH and MEDIUM.
AFAIK, while there are different "sub" settings for CONTRAST, BRIGHTNESS, etc., for the different picture modes (VIVID, MOVIE, STANDARD, etc.) and for the different video inputs, they (the "sub" picture settings) don't change when switching between picture temp settings, therefore the only thing that should be changing is the picture temp itself. Hmm?
------------------
Jim
-------
Mancow rocks! Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks