What's new

How's the new R2 Predator SE? (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Curious to hear people's comments before I shell out to have it imported.
Any R2 DVD site recommendations appreciated. :)
-paul

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
This disk is identical in R2 & R4 as dual encoded (like many titles). One of the best reviews I have seen is from Michaeldvd in Australia.
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...?ReviewID=1420
I agree with the comments that picture quality is poor (but I believe so are all versions of this film), but the DTS track is as good as on the plain R1 disk.
If you are looking to buy currently UK R2 comes in special foldout cardboard gatefold packaging but mine from Australia R4 is in just a plain double amray (single width), however it is cheaper.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi
Just watched the Documentary If it Bleeds, then you can kill it. Awesome and well written with lots of footage from the set and retro interviews from today. The rest I will watch tonight and tomorrow probably
Link Removed have it for £ 14,99 I believe.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Im really pacing back and forth on this one. :) I saw the R1 DTS today for $9.94 and am debating if I should go for this and wait for the R1 5 star release, which is probably more than a year out, if at all, or get the R2.
:/
-paul

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've got the R1 version as well and I think the picure looks better in the new R2/4 version (however, this could be due to the natural superiority of PAL's picture quality - and no tedious comments about speed-up, please). The extras are good, if not jaw-dropping. The deleted scenes are okay.

I tried the 'subtitles commentary' which I found difficult to follow. I thought it might be like the subtitles on e.g. Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Legally Blonde, which tend to refer to the on-screen action. However, in this case the subtitles only occasionally do this, and after a while it just got distracting.

However, these are minor quibbles. I'd say that the R2/4 package is the best you're going to get, and it's worth buying. Oh yes, and at last it's totally uncut (previous R2 releases had small but pointless cuts for violence).

Incidentally, I disagree with one point in the otherwise excellent review Malcolm pointed a link to. I don't think Predator has a 'limited replay value'. I find it so wonderfully dumb that after a particularly trying day, it's one of my favourite films to unwind to.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen the Japan R2 Predator SE? How does it compare to the R4 and PAL R2? Same features?

later

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Same as the R2 & R4 Special Editions in terms of content...

R2 Japanese set is called Predator: The Ultimate Edition and its presented in 16:9 NTSC.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I've been watching the PAL Special Edition little by little everyday (the second disc). Very good stuff. I am very impressed with the whole package!!! Although, the commentary subtitles were kinda distracting when turned on. Worth the $23.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks