What's new

Howards End (1992) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
HOWARDS END was Criterion's first Blu-ray, or among the very first. Due to rights issues it was only briefly available, so briefly I didn't pick it up (and I pick up every Criterion that interests me)...

No offense Bob, but the blu-ray came out in November 2009 and didn't go out of print until the agreement between Criterion and Merchant Ivory (technically the agreement was with Janus, which is what caused all the trouble I guess) ended in mid 2013.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11511

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Brandon from Cohen messaged me on Facebook after I posted my concerns to their FB page.
Here is his message:
Hi Mark, Thanks again for reaching out to us about our recent release of Howards End. We have discovered that our lab did make an error with the final aspect ratio. We are working on a solution with them to correct it and will be in touch with you as soon as more details are available. If you have any more questions feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] Thank you, Brandon Cohen Media Group

Why did it take so long for a reply?

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Brandon from Cohen messaged me on Facebook after I posted my concerns to their FB page.
Here is his message:
Hi Mark, Thanks again for reaching out to us about our recent release of Howards End. We have discovered that our lab did make an error with the final aspect ratio. We are working on a solution with them to correct it and will be in touch with you as soon as more details are available. If you have any more questions feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] Thank you, Brandon Cohen Media Group

Why did it take so long for a reply?

I've been in communication with Cohen Media from the moment I read the first review stating something is amiss with the AR. Cancelled my order at that time. They have been investigating and working out a correction. I'm sure the corrections will be made and that there will be an exchange program for folks who purchased the incorrect disc.

SultanOfWhat

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for noticing the aspect ratio issue and contacting Cohen Media.

I enjoyed the blu-ray (the transfer and the extras are excellent), but the film's framing is noticeably narrow. Hopefully they will offer a replacement disc.

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
I e-mailed Cohen Media through their website today and asked if there are any plans to do a disc replacement and this was their reply:

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out.
We are finalizing a plan with our lab and hope to have details confirmed soon.
I'll add your name to my list and will reach out to you as soon as a plan is in place.

Best,
Brandon
Cohen Media Group​

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Any updates?

It it troubling to me that I have not heard back from CMG since January.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I got a reply this morning after sending a follow-up inquiry yesterday:

Hi Mark,

Very sorry for the delay.
We have a disc replacement program in the works.
Have been waiting on making a formal announcement until the solution is in our hands.
I hope to be in touch with you very soon with more details.
Thank you for your patience.
cleardot.gif

Best,
Brandon
Cohen Media Group

On Apr 10, 2017, at 8:23 PM, Mark Walker

Hello Brandon,

As it has been a few months, I thought I would check in on the status of the replacement "Howards End" Blu-rays.

Regards,

Mark

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Cohen Media Group <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Mark,

Yes, I have you on my list of interested parties.
We are starting to see some movement in discussion with our lab and we hope to have details on a solution soon.
I will be reaching out to you as soon as I have news.

Best,
Brandon
Cohen Media Group

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
I just received the following e-mail:

Hello from Cohen Media Group,

Thank you for your patience regarding our recent DVD/Blu-Ray™ release of HOWARDS END.

We did find there was an issue with the final aspect ratio of the feature film. We have been working tirelessly with our lab to resolve this issue and will now be offering a disc replacement program.

To receive a replacement DVD or Blu-Ray™ of HOWARDS END please email [email protected] with your name, US mailing address and proof of purchase.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

-Cohen Media Group

I sent them a screenshot of my Amazon receipt as proof of purchase.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
This is great. I've held back purchasing the disc and am now wondering if they are also replacing the old disc at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other retailers so I do not end up with a disc that needs replacement.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I received the same email.
I have sent them PDFs of my Amazon invoice and a screen cap of my online order at Amazon.

Glad to see them working on this, as they are releasing several quality titles that I never dared to hope would be released on Blu-ray, like Daughters of the Dust.

Thank you for your patience regarding our recent DVD/Blu-Ray™ release of HOWARDS END.

We did find there was an issue with the final aspect ratio of the feature film. We have been working tirelessly with our lab to resolve this issue and will now be offering a disc replacement program.

To receive a replacement DVD or Blu-Ray™ of HOWARDS END please email [email protected] with your name, US mailing address and proof of purchase.

-Cohen Media Group

stevenHa

Second Unit
I noticed that Amazon says this blu ray will be available April 24 - does anyone know if this will be the corrected disc ?

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

-Cohen Media Group

David, thanks to you and Mark for following through and keeping us all posted on this issue.

I've emailed Cohen to see whether they can issue a replacement disc to me even though mine's not a "US mailing address".

I purchased mine from Amazon US, and as the aspect ratio error was reported here before my copy reached me, I left it shrink-wrapped in the hope that I could send it back for a replacement copy once the issue was fixed.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
posted in another forum:
Hi David,

There is a UK Blu-Ray release in the works that will not have the aspect ratio issue.
Since we do not cover the UK territory I cannot help you directly.
But stay tuned.

Best,
Brandon
Cohen Media Group.

apparently Cohen doen't send replacement discs outside of USA/Canada.

Does anyone have any idea what UK label could release this? Maybe Arrow?

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
I just received an e-mail in response to the one I sent on April 18 when I submitted my proof of purchase:

Hi David,
Thanks for this.
We will send you a tracking number for your replacement disc soon.
Best,
Brandon
Cohen Media Group​

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Just received the following. I might also try Amazon who sold me the disc to see if they can do a replacement. Just the same, I'm glad that there is to be an Aussie release:

Hi Ramin,
Thanks for your message.
Unfortunately we only own rights to the film’s release in USA, UK and Canada.
Therefore we legally cannot send you a replacement disc.
There will be an Australian distributor announced soon who will be releasing the film there.
Their release will have the aspect ratio fix if you are interested in purchasing a copy from them.
I’m sorry that we cannot help you further.
Best,
Brandon
Cohen Media Group

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks