What's new

How would the 281 kit sound compared to my Polk? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I have some polk rt-25's and a center channel. I am thinking about building a 281 kit. How do you think the 281 sounds compared to the polk. I have not heard so I can not compare but these polk are small. They sound good for the size though.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm eventually gonna build a pair of kit281s as well.

From these forums, I've read about people comparing the 281 with the Paradigm Studio100 and picking the 281. I've read about another guy who compared them with B&W Nautilus 804s and picked the 281.

You should be able to hear either of those speakers locally, and could expect that level of performance from the 281.

Don't know if you noticed or not, but the 281 is a 4 ohm speaker, so make sure you have an amp that can drive them before you finish building them.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
LOL, I have a 575

My manual spells out that speakers under 6ohms should not be connected to it.

Although someone claims he has seen the 575 driver 4ohm JBL speakers.

Also, one of the people who has his 5 Kit281 speakers in Adire's gallery is driving them with a 696. He says his receiver has an impedance switch on the back that lets him choose between 4ohm and 8ohm. Set to 4ohm he says he has had no problems. If the 595 have the same switch you shouldn't have a problem.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I just looked and there is a 4 ohm switch back there. I guess I would be ok. I would think it would not be back there if it was not ok?

A

Anthony_Gomez

I have the 676 and I don't think it has the 4ohm switch.

One thing to consider is that the amp will drive 2 pairs of 8ohm speakers at the same time (stereo mode only). When you do this, you hear a substantial volume increase which points to parallel operation..6db gain (verses series 0db gain). This is pretty much 4ohm operation.

I am pretty sure that the 6ohm warning is for driving a 4 ohm HT system. If your mains are 4 ohms and the rest are 8, you should be fine....if all 5 are 4 ohms...well, I wouldn't try it.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine drives 4ohm mains (Infinity Kappas) and an 8ohm center and surrounds (don't know which models) with his 575 and it works well for him. I'd say as long as they're not all 4ohm, you'd be ok.

BTW, he runs his mains as "small", so I imagine that helps quite a bit too (he has some big Infinity sub sitting in the corner).

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
If Jerry decides to come over to my house for an audition, maybe he can post an un-biased opinion of the 281 vented version.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Not a problem Kerry, I'd be happy to.
Damn, after reading more 281 reviews I'm really looking forward to hearing them. From what I've read, some people are claiming the 281 kit rivals the sound of the B&W Nautilus 804's (which I've listened to extensively). If they're even close I'll probably end up locked away in my garage with my power tools for a couple weeks. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks