What's new

How well does the Pronto Neo TSU500 work?! (1 Viewer)

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
You should be able to pick up a Pronto TSU-1000 for similar money.
The Neo has a smaller screen and a newer, less active community supporting the file format (Remote Central) than the older Pronto. It does have more hard buttons, though, which may be an advantage to you.
I've just bought a TSU-1000 (the EU version) and in combination with ProntoEdit and many of the contributed files on RC, have programmed it with a simple interface to my system. It is a fantastic piece of kit and worth every penny. My wife thinks it is great, even though she was easily capable of using the separate remotes. Although we were both a little nervous about blowing GBP135 (from Link Removed) on a remote for a system where the receiver cost only twice that, we both think it is well worth the money.

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Willy,

I agree with what Mark said. One more thing, the Atkis is probably not a good deal - especially considering it's cost vs a Pronto. The Atkis was generally not well received by the community over at Remote Central.

Mark: I know what you mean about cost of the remote vs receiver. My Marantz 9200 cost about 50% MORE than my receiver. Probably should rethink my priorities but I LOVE gadgets.

Jim L

rodney wiley

Second Unit
I asked this question in another thread. But Im still concerned, How difficult would it be to program a pronto if you don't have access to a computer. Also is it more difficult if the pronto is used and has been previously programmed?

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Rodney,

I wouldn't think of using a Pronto without the PC. Having said that, it is probably easier to program (at least faster) without a PC) - just nowhere near as impressive looking. If the Pronto is used, you may need to hook up to a computer to reload the default program. Pretty sure that's the case but I never tried it.

Jim L

Willy burz

Stunt Coordinator
So with the updated software that is available, does the neo perform flawlessly once programmed or what?! For that price I can put up with a bit of hassle editing the buttons on the puter, etc.

Is there other button selections built into the neo out of the box, or is that all done stricly by editing through neoedit?!

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
If it's like the Pronto, it comes with a pretty comprehensive set of buttons for each device, ready for you to teach codes and label. Without the PC, you won't be able to move these around or change the look of them, but you will be able to construct a complete set of remote panels. Any unused buttons or panels will simply not display.

I've not used any other decent universal remotes, so I don't have anything to compare against, but I would think most people with half a brain would get the hang of ProntoEdit / NeoEdit easily enough to build a good setup.

I think the default setting is stored in the firmware. The "Revert" button in the setup menu and the reset concealed button on my Pronto are both meant to restore the factory settings.

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Just to clarify a bit on the "revert" setting, at least for a Pronto. Revert IS meant to take back to the factory default configuration (ccf). However, if the remote has ever been programed using the PC, the default ccf is no longer available in the remote. It would have to be downloaded from the PC. A copy is included with the software program. The original Pronto's were released without the PC software being available or anticipated. In this context, the revert button made sense.

Jim L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks