What's new

How to tell if I really need new speakers or if I just have upgrade-itis (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have a whole 7.1 Paradigm Monitor v.1 setup (mon7, cc-350 and mini mons). I like all my speakers and I like how they sound. But, recently I have been wondering if there is something out there for the same price (i.e. what I could sell my setup for used) that would be better or if I would have to spend much, much more to get anything better.

A few things have got me thinking about new speakers including that I now know so much more than I did when I bought what I currently have, the great deals that can be had from internet only companies, and what general characteristics make a good speaker or even the fact that I have become interested in more unique designs.

For example, I have considered switching to Norhs or Maggies (dont even know what these cost) but I am wondering if it will be worth it. I have a Yamaha RX-V1200, but I dont even know if it will drive 7 4Ohm speakers. Maybe I'm just bored and should spend some money on new software.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Man, no bites. I think what I am wishing was better was the imaging. I know this can be tweeked with placement, but obviously if that was all there was too it, then everyone would own cheaper speakers. I have heard good things about the soundstage and imaging of the Norhs and Maggies. I guess I have just been toying with the idea of selling the digms on Audiogon and starting over, but as I said above, maybe Im just bored. Any thoughts?

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 5.1 set up with th Nohr 4.0 ceramic speakers. This is an amazing setup. For the price, the imaging on the Nohrs is incredible. Also the cabinet is inert, which makes for a great sound.

I had a PSB image series set up previously, and there is no way to explain how much better the Nohr's are. There is no way to match a home theater system that uses all of the same speakers. I originally used a Yamaha rxv-800 receiver to drive the speakers, then I upgraded to a HK 2.1 amp and used the receiver as a preamp. You should be fine using your receiver, although using the HK amp is a big upgrade. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks