What's new

How to hagle? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
This is specifically dealing with ht equipment. There are only 3 ht shops in the area. One sells stuff way out of my price range (Martin Logan etc). At one place, they treated me like crap. So I'm not a millionaire... That doesn't give you license to treat me like pond scum. The other place I really like. They have always been nice and helpful. The problem is they won't budge on the price of a receiver. He said if I bought the speakers and receiver at one time, then they could discount it, but not more than 10% max. It is my first time buying here so I don't expect a huge discount, but some would be nice. Is there any good way to haggle with these guys?

Thanks

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I say the best way is to be ready to walk out the door. It's even better if you have a pocketfull of cash and you are ready to buy right there and then. Other tricks would be to go in at the end of the week or the end of the month so that they are more eager to make their week end or month end sales look better.
Go in with a price in mind. Say the receiver is $1100 regular price. Go in with a price in mind like $950 or something like that. Another would be $1100 taxes in(which is good up here with 14.5% tax). Also tell them you are talking a cash deal and that you want to buy today. If they say they can't move, ask them again to make sure they can't move. Then thank them for their time and walk out the door. There is a very good chance they will be willing to talk before you get to the door.
Hopefully this will work out for you. I know haggling can be stressful but the best thing to remember is this guy is trying his hardest to make as much money for himself as possible.
To paraphrase my buddy Ben Affleck from 'Boiler Room'. A sale is made every time someone walks onto the showroom floor. Either you sell them or they sell you on some bullshit reason why they can't afford it. Just remember, the sales guy is thinking of this the whole time. You just have to be the better salesman.
Good luck Jeff and let us know how things went.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Has anyone tried "hagling" on Digital Camera prices?? I'm getting a Canon G3 from Futureshop as soon as it is released (2 weeks or so) and was wondering if they can be hagled???

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
SHoot, for Digital Cameras, I'd just buy that over the net. I don't think it's the same as HT gear where certain models aren't 'authorized' for net sales...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im not sure if you could haggle for the digicams at futureshop...
but yeah, the best way is to walk out... Remember, YOU'RE the boss... If you dont liek it, walk out. Or better yet, bluff and pretend anothe retailer coudl give it to you for less ;)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Well, the thing is, the other two dealers are pretty much out of the question. One doesn't sell the reciever I want and the other was such a jerk, I don't know that I would buy from him if he cut me a deal.

Richard,
I really need to watch that movie. The place I used to work at used that line about there always being a sale. In fact, my boss said the company was just like the one in the movie. I don't know if that is good or bad, but from my experience it must be a crappy business in the movie.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I don't wanna buy my digital online because I want the 30 day money back guarantee that FutureShop has. I'm spending 1500+ dollars, so if I don't like the thing I wanna be able to return it for a full refund!!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Cam, I don't see why you can't haggle on the price of the digicam. Which one were you looking at? I'm interested in the Nikon Coolpix 4500 myself. It's just too bad that Futureshop doesn't carry Nikon.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Cam, I ended up buying an expensive digital camera from Staples of all places. I found a really good on the camera online and showed the guys at staples. Apparently they price match internet prices plus shipping, it was still about a hundred bucks cheaper than they were offering it for. Call around and see if any local retailers will price match internet pricing

Jeff, this would also be good advice for you. Let the dealer know you've found a better price online but would rather buy it from a store, see if he won't compromise and meet you half way to the online price.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Cam, I don't see why you can't haggle on the price of the digicam. Which one were you looking at? I'm interested in the Nikon Coolpix 4500 myself. It's just too bad that Futureshop doesn't carry Nikon.
I am getting the Canon G3 once it is available. I asked about Futureshop price matching online stores and they said they would, but that the product on the online retailer had to be in stock. Camera Canada has the best prices on digitals I've seen, and most are $50+ cheaper than in stores like Future Shop.
Future Shop also had a deal going a week ago that if you bought a digital camera you could get any memory card for 50% off, so I asked the guy if I could still get the deal when it is over and he said all I had to do was ask when I bought my camera and they'd give it to me. I'll be going in as soon as the G3 is out so I'll try and do some hagling then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks