What's new

How to ground equipment? (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
Well, I just moved into my new rental home....and it only has two outlets in the living room....and they are both of the 2-prong variety. Of course all my equipment (well at least the good ones) have 3-prong plugs. I can't afford to re-wire the house...actually, I doubt the landlord would let me tear up his walls. So is it safe to just use a 3-2 adapter plug with a surge protector between the wall and the equipment?

Also, how would you recommend I split this list of equipment between two plugs?

Newcastle 9080 amp

HK 520 receiver

old 27" TV

X-Box

LCD front projector

HTPC

Or am I just worrying too much?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Some houses have a 3 wire cable with a two outlet receptacle. It would be simple to R&R those for 33 cents each. Be sure to kill the power. Hook the white(grounded conductor) up to the neutral or wide side, black(ungrounded conductor-hot) up to the narrow side, and the bare or green to the round slot(GREEN SCREW ON BOTTOM of receptacle). Get a book at home depot! Also the receptacles are labeled.

If you have metal conduit(EMT), then the grounding conductor may be the conduit. Just do a jumper from the conduit to the receptacle connection point for the(green screw) round slot(grounding conductor). Or don't worry about it. Most homes have EMT or 3 wire cable in the last 40 years. If you live in a big city up North, then you have conduit in very old homes. The only problem is sometimes people do repairs and use PVC and forget to put a jumper across the patch for continuity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks