What's new

how to create flickering starlight effect? (1 Viewer)

Charles

Agent
Anyone know how to create the flickering starlight effect in the ceiling? Any info or websites/articles appreciated.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I am looking at this as well. I know these are fiber optic kits. However, anyone have any links to reasonable kits.

Also, are these easy to install in ceilings with attic access? How exactly do they attach to the drywall when sticking through?

Thanks,

C. Ryan

This may get you started charles.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Charles,

That is one of the coolest ideas I've heard of...:emoji_thumbsup:

Unless the cost of 6 or 8 foot fibre strands (where you would get them, I don't know) is astronomical, pardon the pun, you could pretty much use any well ventilated light source and make your own display (with extreme caution).

Hmmm... just like the drive in.

CRyan,

I would think that mounting the individual fibres through the dywall would be as simple as drilling a tiny hole through the plasterboard, inserting the fibre and using a hot glue gun to secure the fibre.

CAUTION. A drywall ceiling is not meant to support weight !!!

MikeWh

Second Unit
Here's another site you may be interested in:
http://www.thefiberopticstore.com/star-ceiling.htm

I saw this installed on a TV home building show a couple years ago and then checked it out on the web.... it took me all of about 10 minutes to conclude it was out of my price range... nice, if you can afford it!

I'm pretty sure someone on here has done one of these projects. I just don't remember who.

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
I installed fiberoptics in my HT.
It is an incredible eyecatcher.
A colorwheel infront of the lamp makes the stars twinkle.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Yep. Jens was the one I was thinking of! :D

His beautiful Cinemax HT is one of the "customer projects" in the link I provided previously. Nice work, Jens.

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
There are also starfield panels and infinite depth starfield panels available. I researched them quite a while ago, but the price was steep so I abandoned the quest, but I imagine they save a lot of time and offer a lot more stars than one would want to create themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks