What's new

How much to spend on a Receiver or Pre/Pro/Amp (1 Viewer)

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Let's say I have a new 5 speaker set worth $4,000 MSRP (not including sub) and want to upgrade my receiver. How much is reasonable to spend on a receiver or a Pre/Pro and Amp? I have no plans to upgrade the speakers any time soon.

Joe

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joe,

How much is the wrong question. What do you want out of your system is the right question. More sound? Better sound? What kind of sound? HT, 2-chan music, multi-chan music (DVD-Audio/SACD)? Once you know where you're going, you can figure out how to get there. Post back with your needs and I'm sure many on the forum will be happy to give you the benefit of their experiences. Good luck.

Austin

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Austin.
My speakers MSRP is $6000 and I use a Denon 3802 (MSRP $999) and Parasound 1205 to push them which works prefectly for me. I couldn't be happier with my setup for both movies and music. :D:D
Certianly cost should be a factor but most importantly should be do you like what you are hearing.
If you listed your speakers maybe you will get even more reponses.
Just my take.
But if money was no object then I'd get this Lexicon MC12 :D :D :D

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Austin and Michael, I was hoping you would all agree that "one should spend half (or two-thirds, or one-third) of the cost of the speakers on a receiver or pre/pro-amp".

I guess it's not that easy.

My speakers are B&W:
CDM 7NT L/R
CDM CNT center
CDM SNT surrounds
(and a SVS 20-39 CS+ powered with a Sampson 1000 W amp)

I presently have a Yamaha 793 (5 X 80 Watts, 5.1 DD, no DTS)

I listen to 40% music and 60% HT.

I'm looking to dramatically improve 2 channel stereo (don't care much for multichannel music), add DTS, and expandable to a rear speaker, in that order.

Again, I have no plans to upgrade speaker or sub anytime soon.

Thanks for your help!

Joe

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Tough question, but based on the speakers that you have I would not go beyond the cost of a high quality receiver.
You have a splendid speaker set-up for both movies and music, but if you have no intention of upgrading the speakers for a long time, the 7NT's will perform flawlessly with the amount of power supplied by a good quality receiver and additional power of separate amps probably is not necessary. I own a very similar quality of set-up - Paradigm Reference Series (60's, CC, ADP's surrounds, SA-10R rears and a Velo HGS-18 sub - purchased for a total of about $4300) and use the Denon 5800 (18 months old - $2700 at purchase) and it sounds great.
However, if I had to make the decision right now, I would switch to separates. Do I think they will sound better? No. They are just much easier to upgrade in the processing arena. If I were you, I would look at the following:
http://www.outlawaudio.com//promo_950770.html
I believe that it would be an appropriate match for your system.
Mike

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joe,

My recommendation would be to get a "throwaway" receiver that you can use to wait out the multi-channel music digital interconnect wars. I feel DVD-Audio/SACD are the future and that Pioneer's new 49TXi and universal players with 1394 FireWire will finally break the logjam and give us full digital signal processing of the source. Futhermore, a decent quality reasonably-priced receiver that supports your HT needs and can be supplemented with an external amp to serve your 2-channel requirements is just what the doctor ordered. Therefore, get a Denon 3802 for around $700 (check 6ave.com) and snap up a good 2-channel amp either new or off audiogon.com. You'll enjoy both HT and music and can sit back and let the market and your budget decide your next move. Good luck.

Austin

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike and Austin,

The purpose of my post was to assure myself that I was looking into components that were consistent with my speakers. Most around here talk budget, but my budget can vary somewhat by waiting longer for what is best for me in the long run.

I had pretty much narrowed my search to a good receiver (3802) with a 2 (or three) channel amp - OR - an entry level pre/pro and amp such as Outlaw 950 with the 770 or the Rotel 1066 with the 1075. I just don't need the extras in the flagship receivers since my switching needs are minimal. (I have 1 DVD player that goes straight to the TV and I use it for CDs also - maybe not the best idea.)

Thanks for the great advice!

Joe

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Joseph, I found myself in a similar situation (Had CDM7NT set as well, but am now upgrading to the 804. The CDMs are awesome speakers for the $$, btw, and the ONLY reason I am upgrading is b/c I am getting an AWESOME deal on the 804s), that being said, I also have some other thngs in common, I had teh 793, then wanted DTS and 5.1 inputs for DVD-a, so I went with the 795, then I wanted more power and got the 995 (when it was still the latest thing).

I got so sick and tired of upgrading receivers, I decided to sell the 995 and get seperates. I am now running the parasound avc-1800 pre/pro (just a dts/dd unit) that I found for a very good price (around $700) and it use to retail for $1200. I love the unit, but there is similar competition out as well. I am running a Marsh sound design 2X200w amp ($2300 retail) and a rotel 3X150W for my system, I did notice a big difference when going to seprates and I will NEVER go back to a receiver (although there are some good ones out there, I just am sick of them). My father has the CDm9 set up and is running Macintosh amps (his 2 channel is a MC202 (2X200 w that MSRP for about $3500) and a mac for the rears as well. He is running a Rotel 976 pre/amp and loves the sound, but it is weird to use, and he just ordered a 1066 because it is easier to use, but the sound is good on the 976 (this too was a $1200 retail unit, that can be had for much less, but it is only a DTS/DD unit as well).

Frankly, I think that the CDM line is too good for a receiver any less that $1500-2000, and much too good for a $800-1000 receiver (these are more suited for the 600 series stuff).

So those are my opinions about a similar situation I was in.

BTW, I have the SVS sub as well.

Good luck!!!

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Rodney,
I follow your posts since I knew you also had 7NTs and your Dad has 9NTs. I also knew you were upgrading to the 804s. I'm looking forward to your impression of them once they have "settled" into your system. I auditioned the 7nt, 9nt, and the 805s, but never the 804s, they were just too far out of my price range. I'm sure you will love them!

I didn't know your history with receivers, though. My 793 needs replacing, you can hear the harshness when it is being pushed. Can't be good for my speakers.

Hey, thanks again for your response. I'll probably be looking for more advice as I get closer to making a decision. Let us know about the 804s!

Joe

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I will let you know, I really don't expect them to be a HUGE upgrade, but I was getting a deal that I couldn't pass up, and since I can get a Ferarri for the price of a Porsche, why not do it. I have this theory when people say "they sounded sooooooooo much better, it was like night and day".

Usually if they already started with good equipt, I think it is similar to how a company advertises and shows a bar graph, they will show the last 90-100% of the graft (and leave the 0-90% out, in doing this, if something is 91% and another is 96% the difference on that graft looks like the 96% product should be 2X as good (5% of the 10% shown on the graft), when in reality, if they showed the WHOLE graft, it would only show a 5% difference (if that makes sense). I loved my 7s and never had any regrets, but I just came accross a situation that I can't pass up, so I get my dream speakers that I planned on gettting in 10+ years, right now!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks