What's new

how long to thaw a turkey?? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
OK T day's comin up.
I'm gonna smoke my turkey for a few hours the day before T day then I'll roast as usual so it's not dry, yet has that smoky goodness flavor :)
so how long and how to thaw the beast? in the refrigerator? a week? a month? I have no clue, it's about a 13 pound bird I think

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I have a 20lb bird, and I was told to thaw it in the fridge for three days.
------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Julie K

Screenwriter
In the refrigerator, allow 24 hours for every four pounds.
If thawing in cold water, place turkey breast down in cold water and thaw 30 minutes per pound. Change water every 30 minutes.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

aeveritt

Agent
Since you mentioned that you were going to smoke it I would lean more toward thawing it in the refrigerator than in a pan of water. While you just might be okay either way, thawing it in the refrigerator would ensure that the bird doesn't get warm enough to encourage bacterial growth. Smoking is done at lower temperatures and I've known quite a few people who have gotten sick from undercooked smoked food. I would seriously recommend using a food thermometer as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks