What's new

how is widescreen selling? (1 Viewer)

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
The other week I noticed an ad for Goldmember with saying that the fullscreen is avaible while in small letters it said that "also avaible in widescreen"

This bothered me alittle bit because it felt like Companies are leaning for to the Full-screen consumers then the widescreen buyer.

How has the sales of fullscreen/widescreen sales of many major movie releases

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The last time I looked at the sales charts in Video Business, the widescreen version of pretty much every movie available in both formats was outselling the P&S version. But probably not by much, because they were usually consecutive listings. (For instance the week Spiderman deubted the widescreen edition was in the #1 spot on the top thirty list, but the P&S Spiderman was #2.)

The charts at their website (at least the ones available to the general public) do not give dollar amounts or units sold, just relative position.

Regards,

Joe

greg_t

Screenwriter
I was standing in line at Best buy this last weekend, and the couple behind me had Goldmember, and I heard the man ask the woman if they should get widescreen or fullscreen. I couldn't hear her answer. About one minute later, I heard him say, "we should really get the widescreen", and he put back the full and got the widescreen! I turned around and told him he made the right choice and that in the future when he gets a widescreen TV, the widescreejn dvd's will take full advantage of the set and that the fullscreen dvd's would give them black bars on the side of the TV. I felt kind of stupid talking to him about technology while I was standing there with blank vhs tapes in my hands. At least they were S-VHS though.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
That's not really stupid considering that the preservation of original aspect ratio applies to all home video media.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks