What's new

How do you connect non-powered speakers to your computer? (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
2 bookshelf speakers; 1 Audigy2 sound card. How do I power the speakers? Will a cheapie car-audio amp do it? Is there something that can use the computers power supply to do it? Anyone?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I'm no expert in computer power supplies, but I wouldn't use mine to power bookshelf speakers. I have no basis for that other than my suspicion that the average computer's power supply is nothing to write home about.

I'd stick with external amplification. If you use the analog output from your card, then a stereo amp or integrated will do. If optical/digital, then a receiver or processor/amp combination.

StanG

Grip
I use an old Aiwa all-in-one that accepts an aux input. Works very well - I would say better than most "computer" speaker systems.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Angelo, I agree about the average power supply. But, happily, mine isn't.

COOLMAX 550W CT-550
Maximum Power: 550W
Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
Input Voltage: 1100~120Vac/200~240Vac
Input Frequency Range: 60/50Hz
Input Current: 10/6A
Output: +3.3V@28A,+5V@55A,[email protected],+12V@22A,[email protected],+5VSB@3A

Like you say, tho, I'd rather have something external that plugs into the wall and has nothing to do with the PC. What I need is something DIRT CHEAP. Free is better.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The output of a lot of soundcards (don't know what your's is but I'm sure it's in the manual) is a couple of volts so it should be able to drive an amp just fine. I don't know of any free amps or receivers for that matter, but locally, you might want to look at the 'for sale' ads in the newspapers or even that weekly 'Advertiser' that might come in your mailbox. Other options would be to check out places like thriftshops, the Salvation Army, etc. You just might run across an interesting old amp. Then of course there's the various HT forums, like this one, where someone might be selling an old Carver or something. Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks