What's new

How do u get better at web design? (1 Viewer)

Ning Wong

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any good books out there?

I'm a newbie web designer, and i wnat to learn how to be better.....

I know there are tons of online sites as well.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
thanks!

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Not really a "design" site but for good ole HTML help I'd start at www.htmlgoodies.com .
Really good basic to intermediate tutorials that are easy to follow and very informative IMO.
Concepts and design will eventually come to you but ya gotta have solid knowledge/background in HTML to do web design.
Once you learn HTML you can branch off into DHTML, ColdFusion, ASP, PHP, javascript... the list goes on.
HTML will allow you to design and maintain static web sites but the future of the web is dynamically driven sites and applications.
Good luck,
Brian

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
For websites check out w3schools.com for basic reference, as for books I recommend the HTML Black Book, Coriolis is the publisher I believe. Excellent book for both examples and reference at the same time and it presents topics in a friendly organized manner. By far the best text book on web design Ive used... its so good I dont need it anymore :)
The Black book also offers a very good intro to style sheets and javascript which leads into some basic DHTML. Also covers basic PERL and XML.

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator
For books take a look at McGraw Hill's Web Design The Complete Reference 2nd Edition. 900 pages

A few of the things covered: Site Types & Architectures, Navigation Theory, Color harmony & Image formats, Standard sizes for buttons, banners and so on. Good one to have on the shelf.

I agree with Brian Mansure. After design basics head straight for something that gives you database capability you'll lose a lot of work without these skills. A good book you can use with any database platform you choose is SQL Queries for Mere Mortal. Connecting to a database is one thing, getting the information you need is another this book will help with understanding & writing SQL queries.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For a practical application, why don't you start by designing your personal home theatre website like many of the memebrs here have done. Then you can put what you know to the test.

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
what's always helped me is to sketch out the site design on paper and then try to apply what you get (and like) to the site you are creating... Another major thing to do is just fool around and experiment (you don't have to upload these "experiments") but by fooling around with how and where things are placed you will find out what works and what doesn't and whay you yourself will like the best. Another thing that I have been told is to go out and find a site that works and then ask yourself why do I like it's design... take notes if you have to. Then if you run across a site that you don't like, take notes on why you think this as well, and then when you are making your site then you'll know what works and what doesn't without having to go and experiment with try and fail over, and over again...

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
learn human computer interaction. thats for sure.
my professor's website :
http://www.cartermedia.com/470/hci470_index.htm
the book that we use in class :
Don't Make Me Think
a common sense approach to web usability
circle.com 2000: Steve Krug
User-Centered Web Design
addison wesley, 2000: John Cato
hope that helps.
and my website :
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks