What's new

how do i take a suit on an airplane? (1 Viewer)

Benny G

Second Unit
I'm going to Atlanta on Thursday, and it sure wouldn't hurt if I had a suit along for the trip. The only thing is...I've never taken a suit on an airplane before. I certainly don't want to wear it. Would it count as my carry-on? I don't really want to waste my carry-on with a suit. :)

What's the typical way of doing it?

Benny G

Second Unit
Is that a special kind of luggage/bag? Or is it just the bag that comes with the suit? :confused:

Thanks for the reply. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Pack the suit in a garment bag, and check it (no need carry-on a garment bag).

Or, if necessary, pack it carefully in a regular suitcase.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Pack it in a garment bag, get on the plane and hand it to the flight attendant. They will hang it up in the closet near first class and you can then grab it again when leaving the plane.

Another idea I have heard is to pack your pants, shirt and tie but wear the jacket over your jeans or whatever. You can take it off on the plane if you like or wear it on the trip.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

If you're not a First Class passenger, I would not count on this. Better check with the airline. Even then, the hang up closet would be "space available" only.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Notice I didn't say "in first class." There is another closet right at the bulkhead but not in the first class section. Usually it is used by the flight crew and always has room for a suit coat. I would count on it as being available. Heck, I've seen people bring guitars in the case as carry on and have them placed in the holding closet.

Todd K

Second Unit
Also depends on what airline you're flying -- I know Southwest planes don't have those closets. Otherwise they're almost certain to let you use that hanging space.

Todd K

Second Unit
Another thing I've done is put it in one of those cheaper plastic suit bags (not the kind from the cleaners, but a sturdier one with a zipper) and carry it around with me in the airport. If they don't have a coat closet on the plane, you can just slide it atop the suitcases in the overhead bin. If you have to fold it, it would only be in half, and it wouldn't be a harsh creasing fold, so it would come out pretty smooth after only a few hours in there.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
If it's a wool suit, hang it on the shower bar and the steam from the shower will take of the creases.

wally

Second Unit
If you end up packing it, put half in the bottom of your suitcase. Pack your shirt, socks, skivvies, etc on top and fold the rest over. That will keep the crease from being too sharp. Once in your hotel, use the shower tip mentioned above.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Be prepared to live with your luggage in the airport for a few hours because we received a quarter of a quarter of an inch of icy precip this morning.

Lansing, MI huh? Be prepared to laugh as well.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

I swear, Benny, at first glance I thought you were asking a bowel-related question.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks