What's new

How do i remove my car's faceplate? (1 Viewer)

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I've got a 92 grand prix and I need to remove the factory default faceplate.

I'm looking on the internet but I can't find a site specific to my car...any ideas on where to turn?

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
You might check at your local library and look for a Chilton's guide for your specific car. You can also purchase Chilton guides at most car parts dealers.
They may even be able to find help at Crutchfield

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I just replaced my radio in a Taurus, and was surprised to find that a couple of 3-inch 'U' shaped clips insert into holes on the faceplate. Once properly engaged, push out (towards the sides of the radio) then pull the unit out.

The faceplate is actually part of the radio, I think many manufacturers use this method (YMMV).

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i have a 1990 Grand Prix and may get a CD Deck to replace the tape deck in there...

Are there any sites that'll show you how to get the door panels off to replace speakers too?

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Well I ended up unscrewing every screw I could find and got the dash off.

It was actually a lot easier than I had estimated.

It's harder to find stuff for older cars like ours nick, I'd recommend grabbing that Chilton guide from Canadian Tire or the library.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Lol, i havnt noticed seeing any screws at all... :p)

i'll see if they have any of those gudies at the library...

i do know there are two like nuts underneath the radio headset unit... but not for sure... i only felt them before

now how do i get to the speakers???

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
NickSo, I'm pretty sure that you may have to take some screws out AND use a door panel remover tool. You can get this tool any car automotive place.

I'll be at my mother's all next week, who has a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix, and will take a look at how to exactly get to the speakers. I will post back here and let you know on Sunday or Monday!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Awesome. thanks geoffrey...
Well, i took a look while riding int he car today, and i saw that two bolts are connected to the plastic that goes on top of the radio. But theyre only on the right side. I cant see anything on the left.
And also for the speakers, there are two speakers behind the rear headrest, i tried to pull them off, it did, but it was glued on and i kinda ripped the glue off. Is that okay?
And if anybody has a 1996-1998 Pathfinder (1998 Chilkoot trail edition to be exact) whos also into car audio, i'd love some info on how to get to the guts of that as well.. :)
Man, once i get a job, and my full license, im gonna get me some nice speakers, maybe a Pro-Logic 2 Procssor from Rockford Fosgate. NICE.. hopefully.. :)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
NickSo, sorry to take so long to answer, but I lost the thread! :b

Anyway, my mother's 1990 Grand Prix does not have speakers in the door. She has two speakers on the front dash, don't know what size they are, and two 6x9s in the rear deck. Her's is a four door, so maybe if yours is a 2-door, that may be the reason for the difference!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Thanks jeff...

But mine is also a 4 door, but its the top-of-the-line STE Edition with like 10 speakers :p)

Did you find out where to get rid of the plastic to get to the radio? Or how to remove the speaker grilles to change speakers?

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Oh you got the STE edition? Lucky bastard! :)
I'll check out everything on my mom's car tomorrow to see if i can help!

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
The Chilton covers how to remove the plastic to replace the stereo but not to replace speakers.

to get the plastic away from the faceplate you have to go in through the glovebox on the right and just to the left of the ashtray on the left side. Two screws on each side to pop it off. I have no idea how to get the front speakers out but the back 6x9's seem to be accessible from the trunk if my remembory is what it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks