What's new

How do I get around the $200 charge for not activating my DTV card? (1 Viewer)

Danny Owens

Agent
I got a real good deal on a DTC100 at CC (250 bucks). At present, I am in an apartment with no southern exposure so I can't use the thing for satellite. I mainly bought it for OTA HDTV. Circuit City says that I have to activate an account with DTV within 90 days or they charge me an additional 200 bucks for the unit. Can you not just buy an HDTV reciever for OTA broadcasts??
I'll be moving into a house in the spring where I will be able to recieve satellite broadcasts so I will be activating an account then. I really like the HDTV OTA broadcasts, but I don't want to blow another 200 bucks on nothing.
Can I activate and account, keep it suspended and pay the 3 bucks a month fee until I move??
Danny

Bob Jackson

Stunt Coordinator
What does the contract say? If it is plain activation then your plan will work.
The only way to get around it is to pay cash - but many stores will no longer accept only cash for a DTV box.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Danny,
Normally in order to receive a discounted price on equipment ($250) you will need to commit to a certain level of programming for a specified period.
I believe retailers are reimbursed by the sat companies for discounted equipment as long as you commit to the aforementioned programming. If you don't sign up for the programming and the retailer is not reimbursed they pass along that difference to you since they're not about to eat the additional cost.
Your best option may be to return your receiver (if you can) and try to pick up one used at a reasonable price. This way you have no programming requirement.
Chip

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Danny,
Sources for STBs that don't require you to subscribe to satellite seem to be getting scarcer and scarcer.
Try copperbox.com . They don't require satellite subscription.
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
I already have DirecTV receiver and am interested as adding a HD DirecTV receiver as a second receiver on my account. Does making a receiver a second receiver count as activation?

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose if you cancelled the credit card that you used to make the purchase, you would avoid the charge. Of course that's a hassle.
Youy could also activate it, and then a month later deactivate it.
Sam's Club and Walmart sell Directv receivers at reasonable prices (about $79) for basic receivers and do not have any activation requirements.
If you already have an existing system, and are buying a receiver at the discounted prices where activation within 90 days is required, yes adding that receiver to your existing system does meet the activation requirement. I just did this with Circuit City and my Directv account.
I personally find these activation requirements intrusive and offensive. I tried to purchase a DIRECTV receiver for my parents as a gift for their vacation home on the East Coast, which they would not be visiting again for over the required 90 days and it was basically told by Radio Shack that they didn't want my business. "It's not for your system, it won't be activated in 90 days, sorry were not selling it to you."
Yes the reasons behind it are valid due to piracy concerns. But hassling the innocent consumer for poor engineering is not the solution. Good engineering is the correct answer.
Hope this helps,
Brennan

John Johnson

Agent
Chip's right... I'm in the same situation as you: Apt. complex, no southern exposure, moving in 4 months, etc. I went through the same hassle two weeks ago.
The big chains (Radio Shack, BB, CC) basically sell you the box at their cost, and only get a profit off the commission that DirecTV pays them (anywhere from $100-$200).

Wah Foo

Auditioning
i would agree with the credit card idea, i order alot of things on line and im kinda paranoid, so every so often i call my credit card in lost, so i can get a new card number, and they will not be able to charge your card

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks