What's new

How come nobody mentions Dynaudio? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
I agree with jason on other choices of speakers. I can't justify spending $2k on a dinky bookshelf for a used 1.3se. They sound great at SF stereo with music fidelity stuff including the upsampling, cd player, 250 mono blocks, etc. The dynaudio's are picky about there power.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
I agree with jason on other choices of speakers. I can't justify spending $2k on a dinky bookshelf for a used 1.3se. They sound great at SF stereo with music fidelity stuff including the upsampling, cd player, 250 mono blocks, etc. The dynaudio's are picky about there power. Look at the impedence curve. Silverlines was rated at 8ohms and it only dip to 7.9 That's easy on any amp.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Bruce, when you say dinky bookshelf, I hope that you are not referring to the models in the Dynaudio line and the AAD 200 series. The Dynaudios can play clearer and louder than anything made by Def Tech or Paradigm, while the AAD bookshelved can go down to 30 Hz (for the 2001, which is a 9x11x12 enclosure) or 27 Hz (for the 2002, which is a 9x11x18 enclosure) and both can handle over 300 watts of continuous power. I think that there is a misconception that because a speaker is small, it cant rock, This is one of the steretypes that has to be abolished in this forum, for many times at the same price point, because of the constant improvement of speaker design with respect to low extension and cabinet size, a bookshelf will play clearer, louder, and more focused than a floorstander.

smcvick

Auditioning
I've been the extremely happy owner of a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.8s for a little over a year now. Amazing speakers. I bought them when I decided it was time to upgrade from my 10 year old Vandersteens, and haven't regretted the decision one bit.

They're rated as a 4 ohm load, so you do need to pay attention to the amp that will be driving them. I'm using them in a two channel system with a McCormack DNA 1.0 Deluxe amp. Works just great. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but I was sold when I brought them home to audition them, and played them for my girlfriend. Her music source at home is a boom-box, and she's more than happy to make fun of my willingness to spend large sums on stereo equipment. She's definitely not an audiophile. But when I played a couple tracks off of Paul Simon's 'Graceland' for her with the Contours, she turned around and said "you should buy these".

So I did.

I'm not saying that they will be everybody's first choice, but a Dynaudio dealer is definitely worth seeking out to give them a listen if you're in the market for speakers in their price range.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Chung, I like the sound of the 1.3se but it isn't worth the price. I could get the silverline audio sr 17 for almost the same and they sound much better. I've listen to the 1.8s and I felt that the 1.3se clearly sounded much better in terms of mid range, imaging, and soundstage. The 1.8s just have more slam. Now for the 1.3se it's a good speaker. If I had all the money in the world I would by these, but for a consumer I feel that you could do better for the price. Chung did I mention anything about def tech and paradigm? I'm stating the facts on dynaudio speakers and yes they are difficult to drive.

KeithR

Second Unit
Jason- Minis and Gems? Curious, as I owned Cub IIs, and thought they were dramatically better than Minis. Then I sold the Cubs and bought 1.3SEs, and have never looked back.

Gems require a sub, so say 12k for the Gems plus B15 vs. 3.5k for Dyns that don't require it? I am not a fan of Revel (hot tweeters i find), but i still can't find the value there...they do look cool though.

I think the power thing is overrated--i run mine on a Cary V12i in triode mode, and get way more out of them then people can stand in my room. I mean, even an Odyssey Stratos for 1k can drive them fine...now any receiver shouldn't be running any of the speaks we are talking about here, so i don't feel impedance is an issue with most peeps. In fact, i know a guy on AA that runs his on 30w Hovland amp, and has terrific results supposedly. I don't know if i would step below 50 watts, but who knows.

Regarding Silverlines--geez, take a look at the resale nosedive they take. People can't give them away, and there are a ton on A'gon all the time...hmmm...

and 2k for a beefy bookshelf that goes down to mid-30s in normal rooms with unbelievable drivers, separate crossover boards, quality finish, and impeccable build quality isn't a bad deal...

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
Jason- Minis and Gems? Curious, as I owned Cub IIs, and thought they were dramatically better than Minis. Then I sold the Cubs and bought 1.3SEs, and have never looked back.
Not everyone likes the same speakers ;)
The 1.3se just cant hang as a main speaker. Its 86db sensitivity, and ability to only handle 170w at 4ohm, means its more suited to a bedroom, then a living room system required to entertain a party.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Regarding Silverlines--geez, take a look at the resale nosedive they take. People can't give them away, and there are a ton on A'gon all the time...hmmm...
and 2k for a beefy bookshelf that goes down to mid-30s in normal rooms with unbelievable drivers, separate crossover boards, quality finish, and impeccable build quality isn't a bad deal...
Man Keith, the resale price on the dynaudio dips as much as the silverlines. I see alot of 1.3s up for sale. Think before you make a statement like that instead of making a lame comment. Many of the mk2 for silverline is sold by rog1 who is a good friend of the owner of silverline audio. Roger is helping silverline sell the demo pairs sent out for review. Silverline allows internet sales, Dynaudio doesn't. The SR 17 goes a 1hz lower then the 1.3se if that really matters to you Keith :angry:

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Something else rarely mentioned about the Dyn's is the impeccable construction and beautiful cabinetry. They aren't unusually shaped or fancy, just classic rectangular boxes. But the veneer and finish are absolutely beautiful. The rosewood finish on the Contours is the most attractive finish I have seen on a speaker.

Yeah, they sound great too, but several others already mentioned that...

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
One more thing about the AAD's. The binding posts on the back are the biggest goddamn things I have ever seen! The size of the wire hole is about 1/2", maybe more. When I first hooked them up with the 14 gauge wire I use, I felt like I was throwing a hot dog into the grand canyon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks