How come nobody mentions Dynaudio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chung_sotheby, Jul 30, 2002.

1. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I got to audition a set of Countours (the bookshelf and the floorstanders, cant remember which models) and they are absolutely stunning! I was wondering why they dont tend to get mentioned on this board. They are one of the most respected speaker companies in the world, and in my opinion stack up against paradigm, b&w, revel, and others in its price point. They just dont seem to get the love from the HTF crew. Now, why is that?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I couldn't afford a Dynaudio whizzer cone...much less a stereo pair.
    [​IMG]

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

You need to read more posts here.They got plenty of affection and attention here.

4. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

WaltN recently reviewed a pair in Phoenix, and was bowled over by their sound, but they sure are expensive. Maybe he will give us a little review. He did post something, but I don't remember where.

5. chung_sotheby

I dont really know about expensive, it seems like they are only about 20% more than the Paradigm Studio line, and in terms of sound, the Dynaudios absolutely demolish the Paradigms. Of course, I am looking at used prices, whereas with new prices there might be a bit more discrepency.

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

These were $15,000.00 a pair. I wish I could remember the model, but they are out of the range of most mortals.

7. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Im 16 and have time to think about this. I have decided that I'm willing to live in a very small (But clean, not run down) home, so I can have an sweet stereo. and a good car[​IMG]
    I want $15,000 speakers!! I don't need five bathrooms.

8. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

9. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Chung,

Dynaudio starts with the Audience 42 at $800 a pair and goes up to the Evidence at $85,000 a pair. They are rarely discounted...much. At a starting point of $800 a pair for a small bookshelf (albeit, a very, very good bookshelf) they start at a price point at which many people want to spend for a set of 5 plus a sub.

The Contour line gets significantly better. The nice thing about Dynaudio is that as you spend more you do get significant improvement. Take a listen to the Contour 1.3SE or is you really want to stretch your wallet for an incredible bookshelf speaker listen to the Crafft. It is an amazing loudspeaker. Clean to 40hz and as musical as any speaker I have heard. regards.

10. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking at the Dynaudio bookshelf speakers, but they just don't seem like they can rock. 86db sensitivity, 150w at 4 ohm [​IMG]
    The AAD 2002 looks like the perfect bookshelf speaker to me. Its designed by Phil Jones, can handle 400w at 6 ohm, 88db sensitivity, with a response of 27Hz-30kHz. Phil Jones is the master of small drivers. www.aadsound.com
    Sorry if I'm getting off topic.

11. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

I recently visited a dealer in the Phila. area and listened to some Dynaudio's. I asked the sales rep about the discount range/structure on the Dynaudio's because I might be interersted if the price was right.

His response: We generally do not like to discount Dynaudio, but it ranges from 5-10%. I found someone who can do better, but I am not serious at this point.

Bill is correct in his analogy of Dynaudio. The more you spend, the better they sound. It's a matter of how deep your pockets can go, but if I could build a system with UNlimited financial resources, Dynaudio would be a major player in my selections.

12. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Russ, the Dynes I auditioned were the Confidence C4's. They were fabulous, but at 14K well out of my reach. Like all Dynaudio speakers they were typically warm and sweet sounding which might turn away those who like a more detailed sound. I'm sure I could happily listen to even my most harsh and stridently recorded music on them all day long without listener fatigue. They disappear beautifully and have a very controlled and precise way with bass notes, while maintaining what I'd consider perfectly natural mid-range voicing and spatial imaging. Of course, being in a superbly treated room had a whole lot to do with this as well. Wish I could have dragged my speakers along just to hear them in this environment. I heard a pair of Revel Salons there in a different room which I also liked for their more detailed sound. I'd really need a pair of each I think. [​IMG]

13. chung_sotheby

Actually, Jason, I own a pair of the AAD 2001's, and they are just incredible speakers, as they match up very well with the Dynes that I auditioned. What the 2001s lacked in clarity (this is a compliment to the dynes, not a insult to the AADs) they made u pin bass, which for a small bookshelf is amazing as it goe down to 30 hz, sometimes even lower depending on placement. The only thing is that they are incredibly power hungry (86dB) and they weigh a friggin ton (52 lbs. each speaker!). But if I do decide to ever get a pair of floostanders, the Contour 1.8's are on my short list. I highly recommend either the AAd's or the Dynes, but they are suited to different tastes.

14. Jason_Me

That's why I have my eye on the 2002's. They are more efficient (88dB), and can handle more power (400w). They also have greater bass extension (27Hz). Its just incredible what Phil Jones can do with two 5.25" drivers!

edit: the reason they weigh so much is because they have lead lining on the inside.

15. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

You guys will probably think I am crazy but this is very very true.

There is a van from Chicago that shows up a couple times during the summer here in Bloomington, IL that sells Dynaudio out of the back. I mean this guy pulled up to me at a stoplight, asks me if I like nice speakers. I say sure, and then he asks me to pull over. I pull into a Denny's parking lot and this guy wants to sell me some Dynaudio speakers out of the back. I was freaking out. I thought this guy stole them and wanted to unload them. I only had $150 on me and I offered it to him. He wanted four hundred for them and these were ones that had like three 6 1/2s in them and were floor standing - not bookshelf. He shows them to me in a magazine for $1200 apiece. This was toooo weird. I told him I had to go - figuring this was a scam or something.

I left and noticed the phone number on the side of the van. I called it and asked the guy if it was a normal way to sell speakers, out of the back of a van. He said the do installs in Bloomington and often times will sell older stock while they are here.

Weird. They have since tried to stop me on two different occasions. The latter two I told them I was not interested. I know it sounds weird but I tell ya I could never make up something this crazy.

Rodon

16. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Rodon, are you sure it wasn't Dynalab speakers this guy had? That's one of the "brand" names of speakers sold in the infamous white van speaker scam. They're basically junk speakers which they try to pawn off as similar sounding name brand speakers.

17. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

I know the van said Dynaudio and he showed a picture of the speakers and they were Dynaudio. Box said Dynaudio but teh box was open when he showed it to me. I know the cone was inverted and not paper - some other material. I will get teh number off the van again the next time I see it. It6 comes around every year in the summer and fall.

18. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Dynaudio audience gets alot of attention here. I feel that the contours aren't worth the money. You can get better sounding and efficient speakers for about the same price. The 1.3 SEs and the 3.3s are excellent speakers but I wouldn't pay $2k used for a bookshelf and $4k used for the 3.3s. Silverlines don't get any love in this forum. You can find them used for decent prices.

19. Timothy Ch

Timothy Ch Auditioning

Dynaudio audience gets alot of attention here. I feel that the contours aren't worth the money. You can get better sounding and efficient speakers for about the same price. The 1.3 SEs and the 3.3s are excellent speakers but I wouldn't pay $2k used for a bookshelf and $4k used for the 3.3s. Silverlines don't get any love in this forum. You can find them used for decent prices.
    The contours are worth the money ...it's the best bookshelf
    speakers you can find in the market, but you need to get a great power amp (such as Theta Dreadnaught ,pass ...) to push it and some time to run in, then you can feel the beauty of Dynaudio.
    If you want to buy speakers for HT ,Dynaudio won't be a good solution(the money) ,but for music it's hard to find one to compare.

20. Jason_Me