What's new

How can one enlarge their sweet spot? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
In my current home theater the sweet spot has room for 2 people if they sit close together. This is fine for my girlfriend and I, but when I have 4 people on the couch the people on the ends are only really able to hear the surround behind them. I also have terrible acoustics in my home theater. One side of the theater is a cement wall and the other side is wood paneling. This is only a temporary spot for my home theater but I still want to have a larger sweet spot. What should I do? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!
james
here is the current layout of my home theater:
http://mirkwoodhometheater.tripod.co...eater/id4.html
------------------
When in doubt...Rock it out.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Hmmm, you say that the people on the ends cannot hear the mains, just the surrounds? Maybe the surrounds are too hot, have you calibrated with V.E or Avia and an SPL meter? If not, that is probably a very good idea. Judging by your layout, there should be no problems like that. At least from what I can see.
Rich
------------------
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Will Gibbons

Agent
Generally, imaging and soundstage are improved with some distance from the wall. You may also want to look into some acoustic treatment. You may want to experiment with the couch position distance from the speakers--many different thoughts, but 1 to 1.5 distance from the measurement between speakers often works. So much of dialog is anchored by the center speaker. Make sure the angle of the speaker is such that the speaker is pointing to ear level. I would also check that time alignment/distance is correctly set in your processor. Sometimes, slight variations of the center time alignment can dramatically improve imaging. Lastly, center type channels are typically M-T-M configurations, which give good vertical speaker dispersion, but more limited horizontal dispersion. I wouldn't think the couch width would be so wide to dramatically cause a problem, but you might want to experiment with arranging your center speaker vertically to see if that improves the width of sweet spot. You want to take some care doing this and angling speaker to listening position.
Good luck,Will

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
If your speakers are toed-in too much the sweet spot will be reduced. Also, acoustic treatments at the first point of reflection will help. Acoustic foam isn't required... a large plant or bookshelf to break up the soundwaves will produce some benefits.
Greg

james e m

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice! The problem is just with the surrounds. For instance if someone is sitting on the left end of the couch, the surround speaker on that side is sort of overbearing. That person would have a harder time hearing the surround sound from the other surround speaker. The surrounds only sound even when you sit in the middle of the couch. Thanks...
James
here is the current layout of my home theater:
http://mirkwoodhometheater.tripod.co...eater/id4.html
[Edited last by james e m on August 01, 2001 at 08:47 AM]

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
James try moving the speakers further apart. Position each one closer to the side walls and adjust delays and levels.
Later Haywood
cool.gif

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Re: How can one enlarge their sweet spot?
hmmmm they got some new surgeries for that
.. Ooooops!! u meant rear speakers
biggrin.gif

Try and raise them above ear level.. two to three feet should be a good starting point.
Good Luck with your 'sweet spot'
laugh.gif

------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Try pointing your rears towards the back wall. The deflection works pretty well. My buddy had to do this and I was surprised how well it worked. You can always swing them back around when you don't have 4 people watching.
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks