How can I use my monoblocks without a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Bradstreet, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I've plugged my monoblocks (LeAmps) into my HT already and I'm psyched at the improved sound. But I really want to get them going in my two-channel setup. The problem is, my preamp hasn't shown up yet (yup, waiting patiently on a 950). So, I have this old receiver powering my Diva 6.1s. The receiver does NOT have an output for an amplifier.

I don't want to destroy the new monoblocks or speakers, so I figured I'd ask instead of experiment.

Is there any way I can start using my monos with my current receiver? It is killing me not being able to hook to monos to the 6.1s in the family room.

Thanks

2. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Bill, you'll need some sort of gain control b/w your source component (CD/DVD player, TT, tuner, etc.) & the amps unless the latter comes with such feature.

PF

3. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Bummer. I was hoping there was a way, but I couldn't see how to get around this exact issue without going out and buying something else.

I guess I'll wait patiently for my 950. :)

Thanks

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Bill,
    Check Parts Express (http://www.partsexpress.com) for speaker-level to line-level transformers. These are often used in car audio environments for doing a crossover to a subwoofer for a head unit without a preamp output. Something like Part # 265-023 might do the short term trick. Don't forget a power supply [​IMG]
    You might be able to make this work in your environment.