What's new

Add more Def Tech's or bail and go all Rockets? (1 Viewer)

Nathan_J_A

Auditioning
Hi Everybody,

I've posted the meat of this at a couple other forums, but I've been trying to get access to as many people with applicable experience to my situation as I can.

I've essentially decided on two possible upgrade paths, but not being able to hear Rocket's without buying them, or knowing how they'll blend into the rest of my stuff is kind of a hitch at the moment. The nearest Rocket auditioning I can go to is at least four hours away on the other side of the state. Anyway... hopefully I'll be in a position to do the following.

I will be selling off my Def Tech ProCenter C2, and I will be moving my current front Def Tech BP8-B's to the rear to use as "rear" surrounds mated to my already established Def Tech BP8-B "side" surrounds.

This means I'll need to get two new main front speakers, and a new center channel speaker.

I'm hoping to get a hold of one of these two setups:

Left/Right: Rocket 750's
Center: Rocket 200

...or...

Left/Right: Def Tech BP30's
Center: Def Tech C/L/R 2000

It's a tough choice, and the cost of each setup is virtually identical. I can probably go a bit cheaper with the Def Tech's because of the relationship I've built with my local dealer.

I'll be driving everything with my NAD T762 receiver, and possibly a dedicated Marantz MA200 monoblock amp for the center channel. Or finances permitting I may trade-in my T762 for a T163 pre/pro and try to land a good deal on a Sherbourn or ATI seven channel amp.

I'm just grossly unsure about either route.

As it stands I lean either way depending on the day. I've also been doing some measurements, and I might be able to replace the whole Def Tech setup with the Rockets by replacing the side and rear BP8's with RS550's. It'll be a tight fit on the side speakers though, and so it may be hard to give the speakers more than a couple inches from the wall for the ports to breathe. Now if the RS550's were FRONT PORTED (are you listening ONIX ;)) then it wouldn't be an issue.

My biggest concerns are shrinking my soundstage by moving back to monopole speakers, and then of course if I can't go to an all Rocket setup will having just the 750's and the 200 upfront clash too much with the Def Tech's? Then there's always that little voice inside that keeps wondering if Rocket RS750's are even really much of an upgrade over Def Tech BP30's.

Anyway I'd love to hear the who, what, and why from people who moved from Rockets to Def Techs, from Def Techs to Rockets, from people who considered both and picked one, or even those who considered both and opted for something else.

I'd love to just order the Rockets and give them a try, but if they don't work out I'm going to be a wee bit peeved at forking over $120 to get rid of something I might have known I didn't want in the first place if I could audition them. Unfortunately there aren't very many people in Spokane who spend $2000+ on speakers.

Thanks a bunch,
-Nathan

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Hi Nathan, have you thought about just getting the 200 for now to see how that sounds? The 200 is going to be the center piece of the system anyway as about 85% of the sound comes from the center channel suring movies. This way you can get a feel for the Rockets sound as well as their build quality and not be out a lot in shipping costs...just a thought.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Nathan, I can’t comment as to the Def Techs, but I do not think that you would be disappointed with the 750s soundstage. The 200 is highly regarded even by many who are not otherwise Rocket enthusiasts.

I know that you are already aware of the timbre matching issues that will arise by having Rockets up front and Def Techs in the rear. For me (and I may well be in a minority), unless there is a considerable difference, I’m never so concerned with differences between the front three speakers and the surrounds for HT—but if you listen to multi-channel music, you should consider those differences quite carefully.

Nathan_J_A

Auditioning
BobAlbano:

I had considered doing something like that, but with just the 750's. Essentially the same situation. The problem is that I can get bundle pricing for buying more than one set of speakers at a time. So if I get the 200 along with the 750 I can get a non-trivial discount on the total price.

Lew Crippen:

Well I don't listen to any SACD's or DVD-A discs as the kinds of music I listen to aren't available in those formats, and probably won't be for a VERY long time.

However when I do listen to music I like to use the multi-channel stereo mode of my NAD receiver such that all the left channel source is fed to ALL the left channel speakers, and the same for the right. My room is about 15ft by 34ft, and the home theater sits in there on one of the far short walls. So the back half of the room is used for other non-theater recreation like playing poker, etc. The Def Tech's create such an enormous sound stage that it's very easy to fill the room with music.

Which is of course why I'm a bit concerned that going back to direct radiating speakers might diminish that effect, and while they'll help with precise imaging of left and right, the depth of the sound will be shallow. In all honesty I don't find imaging to be an issue for the Def Tech's as it is, despite what many people have said about them. My fron BP8's are about 9-10ft from eachother and so there is never any confusion about what is supposed to be heard from the left and what is supposed to be heard from the right.

Thanks guys for the feedback :). Anyone else want to chime in?

-Nathan

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Nathan, I am almost...well actually I'm positive that they will let you order either the 750's or the 200 and then add the other speaker later while still getting the package discount when you buy the rest of the package. Give Sean a call and he would be more than happy to set this up for you. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Nathan, I am almost...well actually I'm positive that Bob is correct. Call Sean and to continue to echo Bob, good luck!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
That is one reason I did not go def tech... almost did but found I did not like the center. Give Sean a call and try the 200 (bigfoot) that will ease your fears and let you make an informed or should I say listened to decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks