How can I configure MSN Messenger 6.2 to use Firefox as my default browser?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ricardo C, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I switched to Firefox last month, and haven't looked back. I love this browser like you wouldn't believe. Yesterday I added the NeedleSearch bar, and have been wondering how I ever go along without it [​IMG]

However... Even though Firefox is set as my default browser, MSN Messenger still uses IE whenever I click an email alert or try to email a contact straight from the Messenger window. Is this at all customizable, or am I stuck?

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I have the same problem, Ricardo. I have been using Opera for a while, and have it set as my default browser. When I click links in conversations, they open in Opera, but email related things open in IE.

Short of going through the program code (something which i have no idea how to do) and rewriting it, I think we're pretty much stuck with them opening in IE.

What do you expect anyways, a Microsoft program has to have the Microsoft essentials, as much as you hate them to.

3. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

This only happened after MSN 6.1, IIRC. All my links opened in Firefox before that.

4. JohnHa

JohnHa Agent

Get Trillian. It is a 3rd party app that replaces MSN, AIM, ICQ, and Yahoo! messengers. It combines all the chat clients into one easy to use interface, and it's free (and it's not ad-ware).