What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

How are you dealing with life now with the Covid-19 virus situation? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I had dinner with some fellow magicians at a magic club member's house on Monday night. I drove my Miata so I could pose the car in front of the host's awesome home. :)

i-tGFx52q-4K.jpg

There were 8 of us and, as far as I know, 7 are fully vaccinated. I knew in advance that 1 person had not been vaccinated yet. He isn't anti-vax, but he is a younger guy and is concerned about the reports of heart inflammation.

The risk to him was greater than the risk to the rest of us. He behaved in a very cautious, respectful (and appreciated) manner. He wore a mask while indoors. He only removed his mask when we moved outdoors to have dinner. And even then, he sat at a different table, about 8 feet from the rest of us.

Myself, while inside, I wore an N95 mask (the well-sealing straps behind the head kind) with a cloth mask over that.

Overly cautious? I don't think so but I can understand how others might feel differently.

Bottom line, it was nice to get together with magic friends again and I feel respect for the unvaccinated friend who has genuine concerns but continues to behave in a safe and responsible manner. [deleted]

Mark

Mod: comments about unspecified others deleted. This is about how you’re coping, not how <how-waving-others> are/are not behaving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t know if this question is best in this thread or the other one so I’ll just put it here and if the mods or OPs want me to move it, I’d be glad to.

Has anyone made plans to go to a concert as stuff is starting to come back?

There are some announced shows near me that I’d be very interested in seeing and pre-pandemic I wouldn’t have hesitated to get a ticket. I think there are three or four shows between now and October that I’d love to see. All are indoors. I think all but one require ticket holders to be vaccinated (the one that doesn’t is apparently at a venue small enough to not qualify for NY‘a vax requirement, that whole process is a bit of a mystery to me). I would be going alone if I went. If it was just me, or if I didn’t have small children not yet eligible for vaccination, I’d go. But the idea that I could go out for a good time and unintentionally harm my kids by bringing something home gives me pause. I’m just not sure what the right call here is. I also know I won’t have fun if I’m worried about the kids the whole time. My wife doesn’t seem very concerned but we both agree she gets a veto for any reason or no reason at all.

I’m leaning towards going to at least one with the vax requirement. I think Springsteen on Broadway will be safest - entire crowd is vaxxed, they’re checking vax cards and matching IDs at the doors, and the theater just installed the new air filters.

Of course, the one I most want to see is the one without the vax requirement. But maybe go with an N95 mask as a security blanket?

Any of you guys starting to make plans like this or facing similar dilemmas?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just bought tix for 3 concerts at Carnegie Hall next Feb and April myself, including this one:

Probably going w/ my youngest, who will be 15-yo by then, although it's technically a school-night despite being Thurs, which my wife may protest a bit. :P Normally, I might not want to spend the $$$ on that Across the Stars concert, but my youngest loves it -- and she actually wants the sheet music for Mutter's violin solos to those new arrangements.

I don't have anyone unvax-ed and potentially at-risk in our household though...

FWIW, they're certainly ramping things up slowly w/ plenty of caution it seems... at least at Carnegie Hall anyway... Much fewer concerts on their schedule this coming season -- and a much later start to tix sales...

_Man_

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it depends on the event and venue - the Garden is back to full capacity arena shows and there’s a lot going on at the Beacon and the Town Hall. Carnegie may be slower because of subscriber donations coming in below average (a problem they had prior to pandemic) - that Williams program looks fantastic though. Maybe I’ll see you there. I suspect the little kids will have a chance to get the vax before then.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don’t know if this question is best in this thread or the other one so I’ll just put it here and if the mods or OPs want me to move it, I’d be glad to.

Has anyone made plans to go to a concert as stuff is starting to come back?
I only like the Ramones and The Beatles and if they go on tour again, I would definitely go. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
No plans for a concert anytime soon, nor any other really large scale event. But I did make reservations for a magic convention that is taking place in May. Typically, 1,500 people attend. And all of the performances and lectures are in various sized rooms that seat from, oh, about 100 people on up to about 750.

I am confident I will be wearing a double mask the entire time. And if there is any sign that the immunity from the vaccines is starting to wear off, I won't go.

My real hope is that the virus will be pretty much gone by May. But that's probably a pipe dream.

Mark

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ever seen McCartney? He does one hell of a show. I’d love to see him again.
No but from the recent live clips I've seen of him, I agree that he does still do a great job. I guess it also helps that he's got a few decades of great songs to pull from. :)

I was never a big concertgoer so it's not something that I was really missing during the pandemic. However, I have an old friend and her life is music (like the way that people here love and know movies is how she loves and knows music) and she's ecstatic to get back to seeing shows.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My life is 99% mask free now and 90% back to normal: office work, grocery shopping, eating in restaurants, getting together with friends in our homes. The only places that I wear masks now are airports/airplanes and my local takeout pizza place still asks for it (and I comply because I support them).

I’m still waiting for my boardgaming group to get back together. I’m told it resumes next weekend. That will get me to 95% normal. :)

I talked idly with my wife about going to NYC for a show. I think I’d be up for it, but we haven’t made any actual plans. So, make of that what you will.

NoVA has a 7-day average of ~2 cases / 100,000; 50% fully vaccinated; 60% adults vax; 70% adults one dose. My office is better, with >70% fully vaccinated. Experts are watching what happens with the variants. But largely, it’s feeling like a good 4th of July weekend. :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Today begins the grand experiment... My sister-in-law arrives this afternoon from Nebraska. She's fully vaccinated and she's originating in a state that's done a very good job at both vaccination rates and at limiting spread (even prior to the vaccines becoming available).

But she's going to be on an airplane for about 3.5 hours and in a stopover airport for about an hour. The stopover is in Denver, and Colorado isn't doing as well at limiting spread.

Still, the odds seem pretty low that she will acquire and carry the virus into our home. She'll be here for 10 days. Our biggest "return to normalcy" by far.

Mark

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I still mask every time I go to a store because people in my state are stupid, present company excepted, of course.
I still mask up everywhere out of lingering precaution, and the existence of other variants. Plus when I'm outdoors, I find it helps to keep the environmental allergens at bay. I am getting tested for that later next month.

About the only place outdoors where I don't mask up is out on our balcony. This has been our one welcoming safe haven this past year! :)

CHEERS! :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'll continue to mask up whenever I go indoors (other than home or when eating of course), but probably not outside unless it's somewhere rather crowded, especially if I'm staying there and not just quickly passing thru. Actually, I might also consider an exception for some uncrowded, extremely spacious indoor spaces where I'm not often near or interacting w/ other people.

Hoping to go see Black Widow w/ my few movie-going buddies in a couple weeks perhaps... maybe at the Lincoln Sq IMAX... Will probably mask up for that -- I don't generally eat at theaters, so that's not an issue for me...

_Man_

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We have 70% one dose and 30% both doses at this point in CND. There are mass vaccinations going on every day. [deleted] My daughter just texted to tell me that she and her husband just had their second dose. She lives in Kitchener, which is a hotspot for the country. It also has a huge Amish settlement. [deleted]

Mod: no politics. Posted edited. This immediately prompted a followup on the politics. So again, no politics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This morning, I went out with our son, who needed to have his car checked at the local Midas. While waiting for that to be done, we also both dined out for the first time in well over a year, having our McDonald's breakfasts in their outdoors lounge area. It's also pretty chilly for July to the point I slightly wished I had worn a jacket!

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks