What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Horror Classics Collection - 50 Movie Megapack - anyone? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Pretty amazing list!

Advertisements that tell an intelligent shopper almost nothing are suspicious.

How bad can they be?

I find the list of e-books pretty exciting, but don't know much about that stuff - how would it look onscreen? Reading just webpages and email is tiring enough :frowning:

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Those are the same old public domain titles available on dozens of labels. They likely aren't any better or worse prints, though.

For the price, it might be worth it for those who haven't purchased other versions.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone look into this? It's a "club" deal. Every four weeks you get another 50-movie "megapack", at a cost of $24.95 each. You MUST purchase three packs before you can cancel your membership to the club. So...you are spending at least another $75 on top of the $29.95. AND...there is a link that lets you "Click HEAR For More Info"...kinda scared of a website that can't get that right!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
oops! The "club" offer is different from the original offer mentioned in this thread...sorry!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
The set is available from several online retailers. I only posted the original link because it listed "all" of the titles. I purchased my set from Overstock.com and waiting for it to arrive.

I own only one other title from Treeline which is the Groucho Marx "You Bet Your Life" show which has 6 episodes. They don't look bad for the age and being a 1954 television show but has edge enhancement and of course not cleaned up. The company apparently deals with promotional distributions and repackaging and now dabbling in public domain works under their own banner.

I figure even if a couple out of the 50 movies on the 12 discs turn out looking decent, I got my money's worth and a box load of fun with these classics.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
For those who haven't checked out the titles on this box set of 50 movies on 12 discs for under $30, here is a list along with release years so remakes don't get confused. There are even 5 silents in there! Just got my set today and will let everyone know what I think of the quality shortly.

Carnival of Souls (1962)
Atom Age Vampire (1960)
Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961)
Nightmare Castle (1965)
Black Dragons (1942)
Invisible Ghost (1941)
One Body Too Many (1944)
White Zombie (1932)
Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959)
The Screaming Skull (1958)
Beast of the Yucca Flats (1961)
The Terror (1963)
Revolt of the Zombies (1936)
The Giant Gila Monster (1959)
The Fatal Hour (1940)
Dead Men Walk (1943)
The Mad Monster (1942)
Maniac (1934)
Metropolis [silent] (1927)
The Vampire Bat (1933)
The Ape (1940)
The Monster Maker (1944)
The Killer Shrews (1959)
The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962)
King of the Zombies (1941)
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde [silent] (1920)
Bluebeard (1944)
The corpse Vanishes (1942)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Doomed to Die (1940)
The Phantom of the Opera [silent] (1925)
The Indestructible Man (1956)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame [silent] (1923)
Nosferatu [silent] (1922)
Swamp Woman (1955)
The World Gone Mad (1933)
The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
Tormented (1960)
The Monster Walks (1932)
Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (1967)
The Gorilla (1939)
A Shriek in the Night (1933)
Bloodlust (1961)
The Amazing Mr. X (1948)
Last Woman on Earth (1960)
The Bat (1959)
The House on Haunted Hill (1959)
The Last Man on Earth (1964)
Dementia 13 (1963)
Phantom from 10,000 Leagues (1956)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Eric let us know as soon as you can dude. I for one am dying to know. Have never seen about 90% of them and would buy this set just to view them at my leisure to decide which is worth hunting down as an SE.

I am still too picky to buy it if it is horrid quality and not the right "versions" of movies. I know at under $1 each it's cheaper than renting half of them if I could find them...

But, I am so picky I would not if for example it had the "extended" Night of the living dead with new sound track or an edited or cut version of other movies like Nosferatu or Carnival of souls.

Anyone know if this is cool for a first time around to these films?

I heard good things about Dementia 13 and carnival of souls but I believe they are already out on DVD right? Any thing I should avoid or seek out.

waiting to hear...

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am not an expert on such things and can only speak from experience.

I have only sampled a few of the titles and can say that it looks like Treeline has obtained the best or close to the best quality unrestored versions available. Some look amazing while those from the 1920's-1930's are obviously harder to look at due to the technology of the day and wear. I have seen similar low budget DVDs that have looked a LOT worse including Madacy offerings. The few I've sampled had good black saturation and no pixelation blocking or ants within solid colors or smokey scenes. This tells me that the discs were well authored and have good compression ratios.

Packaging is a bit cheap. It is in a flimsy cardboard box that has a velcro locked top. Each disc is in a cardboard sleeve, has 2 movies per side and a couple have 3 per side but they are short movies and hey... it's the movies we are after, not the packaging and what do you expect for under $30? You can't even buy 12 quality blank DVDs for that price!

I am sure some will disagree with me but considering the price, it is well worth purchasing it!!!

Treeline also have other Megapack offerings including 50 family friendly movies and 100 television shows.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks