What's new

Horizontal band at top of Sony 32" TV (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hill

Auditioning
I really hope there is a solution to this.
I purchased a 32" Sony Wega TV last year. I'm not sure of the model, but it's the equivalent of the KV-32FS17 that they make right now.
In the last month I've notice a dim, light colored, horizontal band that shows up right at the very top of the screen. It's most noticeable during closing credits of a movie (almost pure black background). It just seems to make the top 2 inches of the picture a bit brighter than the rest. I've checked for magnetic interference and it doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere.
It's a painfully annoying flaw, in an otherwise pristine picture. When you shut the video signal off, you can still see it if you are in a pitch black room. It seems to be just above black. It's also on ALL inputs (1 through 4) and it seems to creep above the anamorphic squeeze line so it seems like it has something to do with the tube itself.
Does anyone have an idea of what's wearing that could be causing this?
Please help. Any info would be gratefully appreciated. Is this something that could be fixed by a technician, or am I just out of luck?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A few things to try:
We need to find out whether it is a scan line problem of a problem of stray electrons coming out of the tube neck but not part of the electron beam (tube defect).
Turn the contrast almost all of the way down. Then turn the brightness all the way up.
With the TV's anamorphic squeeze in effect, are scan lines now visible at the extreme top? If so you don't have a true (optical) anamorphic squeeze and therefore are not receiving the benefits of squeezing at the TV.
If scan lines are not visible at the very top during squeeze, does this bright band move as you switch from squeeze to regular 4:3 mode?
With the anamorphic squeeze still in effect, does this brightening at the top border vary depending on the average brightness of the picture when you are viewing something?
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on November 10, 2001 at 08:35 AM]

Stephen Hill

Auditioning
When I squeeze the picture the scan lines are not visable in the top of the screen (it does truly "squeeze" the image) but the bright band leaks over the top of the squezed lines.
Thanks for the help

Stephen Hill

Auditioning
Whoops. ohh yea. The brightness seems to effect it a little bit. When I drop down the brightness level a bit, the bright band gets a little less noticeable, but it's still there.
Thats kind of weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks