Hooking 2 subs up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kim Bemis, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Kim Bemis

Kim Bemis Auditioning

Hi, I have a Denon AVR5800 and an Atlantic Technology 10 inch sub and a Definitive PF1800 18 inch sub and would like to know the best way to hook these up. I currently only have the 10 inch sub hooked up to the sub out on my reciever but tommorrow I will be recieving the 18 inch sub. Can I just run the sub out from the reciver to the 10 inch then from the 10 inch using a Y adapter hook up the 18 inch sub? I really dont want to go back up into the attic to run another sub wire to the 18 inch if I dont have too. Thanks to all replies!!

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Yeah, I use a Y adapter for my subs. Just split the sub out cable with one going to the 10 and the other going to the 18 and you'll be set.

3. Kim Bemis

Kim Bemis Auditioning

Anyone else?

4. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

post error. please delete.

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Yep, split the LFE pre-out signal at the receiver with a decent "Y-splitter" and run a separate cable to each sub. Splitting the signal at one sub and then running to the other will also work fine.

Make sure to calibrate each sub separately, because they probably differ in efficiency and output, etc. You don't want to underdrive or overdrive either sub.

Place them together or stack them if you can - keeping the subs in the same location will minimize phase problems between the two, and will maximize the increase in SPL you get when you add a second sub.

Regards,

Ed

6. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

If the subs have stereo line inputs, you may be able to daisy chain them (they may be internally "Y"ed) but check the manuals for both first.

7. Kim Bemis

Kim Bemis Auditioning

Thanks!!!