Hooked up my Parasound 1500a which yielded HUM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brodin, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin Stunt Coordinator

I just hooked up my Parasound 1500a amp today and as soon as I flicked the switch there was a horrible hum which only got louder when I turned my preamp on. I tried the cheater plug on the amp and that eliminated the hum completely, although I don't want to continue using the cheater plug for obvious reasons. I think I have isolated my problem to the coax line coming into my house for the DSS. I did try connecting my DSS receiver to other wall outlets and removed the DSS receiver from the surge supressor and still got the hum. Basically I disconnected everything from my DSS receiver and the hum only goes away when I disconnect the coax cable from the DSS receiver. Now as far as grounding goes the satellite is grounded to a pipe in the basement. I can't use a hum elimator that others use to get rid of hum on cable setups in my DSS setup, correct? I just thought I would ask you guys to see if you agree I have a grounding issue somewhere along the line in the DSS or if I need to look elsewhere.

-Dan

2. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

What about a line conditioner that you can pass the coax line through as well. When I first plugged my soundstream amp in there was a bad hum. I plugged it into my panamax 1000+ and no hum.

Marc

3. Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin Stunt Coordinator

Sadly I have no Panamax to plug it into [​IMG]
    Altho perhaps that will be a worthwhile upgrade.
    -Dan