What's new

Homeowner's Policy change? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I am installing a wood stove in early June. I know this will most likely affect my HO insurance policy since I know that is one of the questions they asked. Do I need to inform them right away or at renewal. My renewal (yearly) is not til December and certainly, not going to be using the stove until winter anyway... If this matters, I'm in NJ.

Jay

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
May as well let them know when the installation is done but be sure to also provide them with every bit of documentation possible...ie specs or a brochure on the stove and all the receipts showing that it was installed by a licensed contractor etc.

Mort

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
You need to let them know when it is installed. Otherwise, you give the insurance company a nice loophole in coverage in the case of a catastrophe.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Joe is right. It happened to a guy I worked with. First, he installed it himself, then never bothered to report it to his insurance agent. Within a month he had a major fire and the insurance company wouldn't pay. If he had it done properly, and reported it, the increase in his insurance would have been very small compared to what he ended up paying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks