What's new

Home theater set up with ONKYO TX-SR608 (1 Viewer)

toothdoctor

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Walde
I am trying to put together my first Home Theater set up. Someone recommended I get an Onkyo TX-SR608 reciever. Supposed to be good "bang for the buck." The speakers I currently have to connect to this are: 3 pair of Polk RC80i, 2 pair of Polk RC 65i,

1 Polk 255C-RT mid channel. (plus 2 self powered Polk PSW 111 subwoofers)

*****My questions are*****.... Will this reciever work okay with all these speakers?

.... Can it handle another pair of speakers if I choose to add them?

..... Is there a reciever more appropriate to use in a similar price range? (around $400)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The 608 is listed as a "7.2" channel receiver. It also has one pair of "Zone 2" speaker outputs (or they can be configured as front height or front wide speakers for use with Dolby ProLogic IIz decoding).

This means that you have up to 9 discrete full-range channels and two subwoofer channels (they are the same "mono" signal, just two outputs).

You have 11 speakers and two subwoofers.

By my math, you have two "extra" speakers, so the answers to your first two questions are "No", and "No".

You should be aware that "more" speakers is not "better". You can't simply "daisy-chain" speakers together with this or, really ANY receiver, without risking serious damage to the receiver, speakers, or both.

If you really insist on packing a room with tons of various speakers, then you need a receiver with "pre-outs" for each of the channels that can be used as inputs to separate, outboard amplifiers. The 608 does not have preouts for all channels - only the zone 2 and subwoofer channels. Pre-outs are available on the Onkyo 708.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks