What's new

Home Theater Master MX-500: Can I control my cable box with this? (1 Viewer)

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
If I'm going drop $100 on this remote, I just want to make sure it will do everything. So those big cable boxes that cable companies give you...does anyone know if this will work on them? Thx.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
It controls everything with an IR receiver. If it doesn't have the pre-programmed code, it can learn from the remote given to you by the cable company. Do you know the brand/model of the cable box? I use mine to control a GI/Motorolla unit.

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys. The box is from Comcast...I'll have to wait until I get to my apt until I can see which brand.

Looks like I'm buying it. :) Now if only it could make dinner for me...

EDIT: By the way, does anyone know the best place to buy this?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
etronics wants 105. you can do better. however, i have had good service from them.

i bought mine from rrdeals - looks like they have a sale for 97 bucks right now. plus i've referred a couple of other people there. all were smooth transactions. however, i note that it seems to forward to something called bluedo - not sure what's up with that. i can only vouch when it was rrdeals.

or you can try surf remote control - i think one of the htf members is from this place. they want just under 100 i think.

if you go with src, you may want to consider the bundle package - especially if you're going to program discrete codes.

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
As long as the mx500 does everything I need, I'd rather not spend more money. But I'll check out the sites you recommended. Thanks.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
The MX-500 really is a great remote. I've used both the MX-500 and MX-700 is my setups and have been VERY pleased.

There is a Home Theater Master forum over at www.remotecentral.com that may be able to help with some more obscure questions. It has several members that are directly connected with HTM.

I too would recommend surfremotecontrol.com or bluedo.com (formerly rrdeals) to buy from. They have always been very reliable to do business with and they follow the forum at remotecentral with after purchase support. (surfremotecontrol is actually at several forums, including this one.)

(FWIW, I am not connected with bluedo or surfremotecontrol in any way. Other than a satisfied user...)

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I think everyone else has covered your questions, but if you have any other specific questions about the MX-500, feel free to call me at our toll free number (866-SURFAV1).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks