What's new

Home theater is now usable!! Pics inside. (1 Viewer)

Brian.Huep

Agent
Hello all,

I finally got my home theater up and running. I would like to thank RON, as his was the first theater I saw on here, and inspired me.

I had most the audio, 2 klipsch quartet mains and the Harman Kardon receiver. I upgraded to a klipsch academy center, and a 20-39pc+ svs subwoofer. Next are the pioneer rears to some klipsch dipoles.

Please feel free to comment, but keep in mind it definatly was a budget oriented theater. I think I spent about 1500 including carpet, velvet curtains all around and carpet, projector, and the diy 110 blackout screen.

Hooked up to it is a PC for games, internet only, a progressive jvc dvd player, and a modded ps2.

I hope I can post links, please check it out.

http://home.comcast.net/~eqshack

if that doesnt work, its...

home.comcast.net/~eqshack just add the http in front. No Link Removed

Thanks a lot!

Brian

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Love the theater bro...especially your custom made FP mount! Is that an upside down end table you used? Very ingenious :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Looks great! That slim Panasonic makes me wish I would've gone with a FPTV.

And.. I'm glad to see you've planned ahead as far as DVD storage. :)

Brian.Huep

Agent
Thanks guys, actually the mount was built by me using a small peice of mdf, and 4 of those little wooden legs I got from lowes for $1.25 each. Cost about 9 bucks including black paint.

I came up with one thing that I thought was cool. All the velvet curtains had to be mounted, and with a basement setup of cement walls, I was unsure how to do this. We ended up using 1/2 pvc piping and built a frame using corner elbows around the whole room and slid the curtains on. We used black zip cord straps between the adjoining curtains and hooked it to a small screw in hook into the floor joists. The zip straps enabled us to level the rods.

The back curtain that gets opened and closed alot was 1/2 metal pvc. Works like a charm, and can be taken down in 3 minutes if I am quick.

Thanks for the kind words.

I mainly wanted to post to show what can be done with a major budget if needed. Letting people know you can get a home theater for under 2 grand easily. Even at this price, people are blown away when they are inside. I show movies 2-3 nights a week and it's an amazing experience.

Best of luck all.

Curt Luther

Stunt Coordinator
Great job on the theater Brian. I am sure you and your friends will enjoy it. What projector do you have?

Curt

Brian.Huep

Agent
Thanks all,

The screen was made from blackout fabric from joanns fabric store. That seems to be the common material on these forums. I then used 1x2x8's for the frame. The screen is a white color, not sure shiny or anything. I was debating painting it, but it looks so darn good, and it's a hassle to paint it.

The projector is a panasonic PTL-200U it can still be had for under 1k if you shop around. An excellent 16x9 projector with plenty of inputs. It has composite, component, svideo, RGB, and audio inputs. I love the thing. Plus the bulbs are rated up to 5000 hours. It's also very very quite compared to all the projectors I listen to.

I leave the fan on HIGH all the time because it is so quiet. That will extend bulb life.

Thanks again for the comments guys, we are enjoying the theater very very much.

Brian

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Good show Brian!
I took my blackout fabric to my Dad's a while ago and he nearly fainted when I compared it to his Dalite hipower screen.
His response was, "Well, my screen is brighter".

Brian.Huep

Agent
Thanks Glenise, I love your theater. Plenty of seating!

We plan on building our next house, and I want to make a dedicated room to my specs of course, so I love looking at the construction pictures.

Thanks

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I just bought a house. Today as amatter of fact. I have a similar space in my basement that my wife and I would love to turn into a home theater. I'm also on budget, so I might be emailing you a few times for tips. Hope you don't mind!

Congrats!
-Ramon

Brian.Huep

Agent
Not at all Ramon, I will help where I can. Just FYI our space was 11 feet wide by 15 back to the door, and just under 7 feet tall. So a theater in a small room is very very possible.

Thanks!
Brian

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Ramon,

Please give a holler via PM or email if you need any assistance. Better yet, just make a thread and ALL of us will do our best to assist you.

Thats what this forum is about.... Helping others!

Its because of folks here, that I was able to do my own dedicated theater and turned out very nice. Just click the little house thingy by the light bulb. I had built NOTHING, but with advise from these fine folks, I did it and so can you!!!

BrianKR

Second Unit
Brian.H, if it wasn't for this forum I would never even tried to build my own dedicated room. Ask and it shall be answered :b The people on here are AWESOME! :emoji_thumbsup:

DavidVT, your room is SWEET!!!!!

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian...likewise!!!!

BUTTTTTTTTTT, I believe that B4 in your room would totally crush my itty-bitty twin SVS :) Man now I gotta get my twin Ultras.... if only I was a rich man :)

Have you been looking at FPs yet? Your room is crying out for some FP luvin!

BrianKR

Second Unit
Not to highjack Brian.H's thread but I am looking at DWIN and a few others. I want to take my time and get it right and try to avoid/diminish buyer's remorse. The FP has to last me a few years or I am going to be moving my setup to an apartment
:b

The B4+ is INSANE!
I would be just as happy with a dual Ultras. I am actually considering purchasing them because of their much smaller footprint. I heard a pair in action a month ago and I was blown away with them as well!
IMO twin Ultra's move more air than the B4+ but the B4+ pressurizes the room more.

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator
Well the wife wants to work on updating the kitchen and main bath first and I understand. So I will probably be starting in the end of winter or early spring. I do have a head start though. I have aquired a black leather sofa and a black leather Lazy-boy. FREE OF CHARGE. You gotta love in-laws that love to redecorate their home. This old furniture didn't go with new look. I kindly took it off their hands. :D

Talk to you guys soon.
-Ramon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks