What's new

Home Theater Cruise (1 Viewer)

David Bott

Agent
Well, somehow I think that this was a total miss understandig somehow. I read your post as being upset all together with what was offered to you.
Sorry for my confussion. (BTW: Check with Parker.)
------------------
David Bott
AVS Forum Admin
Join us for HT Cruise 2002
[Edited last by David Bott on September 02, 2001 at 08:22 AM]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Can I or somebody be allowed to start an official thread for HTF members who want to share a cabin??
I want to book as soon as I get back from the Hollywood Sept meet(@Oct 4th)
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on September 01, 2001 at 07:14 AM]

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
As soon as we get back from LA I am going to be setting up
another forum area for those that are attending so they we
can all get into this area for discussion of the trip, etc.
This will as the LA 2001 meet area is.
Parker

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Parker,
Cool...Thanks!
I just want to find a HTF roomate before I book my trip :)
------------------

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Point of information:
The banner announcement here says to post all Cruise questions, etc. in the Forum Feedback Area. Does that mean we should move this thread over there? (I really don't care one way or the other, but I'd like to keep things consistent.)
Eventually, this will be a moot point since there will be a separate area (ala HTF/L.A.) for registered participants,etc.
And David B.
I notice there's already a section over on AVS that has access limited to those participating in the cruise. Is that for AVS members only? Since I'm a member there as well do I get access to that forum? And will this also apply to our Cruise Area as well, Packy? Will there be a cross-dialogue?
And Crawdaddy, we have to talk in L.A. I hope you can make some sort of arrangement to find your way onto this cruise. From a personal perspective, I really was never interested in cruising because I always thought it would be one of those "forced activities" type of things. Boy was I wrong!!
Quite a few years ago I won a cruise to Bermuda in a blackjack tournament and reluctantly took the cruise on an old, but regal ship (held about 750 passemgers). What a pleasant surprise! You do as much or as little as you wish. No presurre to join in. The staff is there to serve you, not to harass you. If you want to spend the entire cruise curled up with a couple of good books, so be it. If you want to try to participate in everything offered (good luck!) that's a challenge that can be very rewarding.
I liked the experience so much that several years later I took one of the Princess Cruises to Alaska, including a rail trip to Mt. Denali. Unbelieveable! That ship held about 1700 passengers and the trip was just before the dawn of the "mega-cruisers" which, literally, are floating cities. I've always wanted to try one of the giant ships.
This opportunity comes at a perfect time. My wife will be retiring next year and we plan to increase our cruising activity because, if you think about it, a cruise offers one of the most cost effective vacations out there. Remember, with the exception of gratuities, side excursions and some adult beverages, everything is included - your room, your meals, activities, everything! And if you calculate the daily cost a cruise it is hard to beat for value. If you are on a strict budget, you don't have to spend a lot of extra money on supplements. Some people never leave the ship and are never without something to do! And it has been my experience that there will be enough cruise-savy people in attendance - especially in a group this large - that you will know which extras are worth it and which ones are the usual tourist rip-offs. (Case in point: After spending about $5000 a person for a 10 day Alaska cruise/land package it seemed almost mandatory to spend $125 for a helicopter ride onto several glaciers outside of Juneau. Unbelievable experience! And when's the next time I'm getting to Juneau, our only state capital that has no roads that lead to it?
wink.gif
On the other hand, a couple of other stops were nothing more than tourist traps pretending to be historical. We passed on this without any remorse.)
Add the HT element to this and you have one great potential gathering!
Looking forward to a continuing dialogue over the next 14 months!
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

David Bott

Agent
Hi Robert...
Sure you can have access. Seeing you mentioned HT Forum when you booked, I had no way to know if you are a member of AVS Forum. However I have at this time granted you access to that area, looked up your e-mail, and sent you a quick e-mail.
------------------
David Bott
AVS Forum Admin

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
David,
i just joined AVS Forum, and after I book my cruise, will I be allowed in the AVS cruise thread???
robert Crawford,
Yeah, I'll be seeing you in L.A., so after that I'm sure we will be friends. I would like to see you go on the cruise as well :)
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on September 02, 2001 at 05:12 AM]

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mmm. I booked using the on-line booking system, but I haven't heard anything since. I gave my HTF name and my e-mail address. On my print copy it looks as if I filled in all necessary fields.
This was Aug 28th. Should I have received any reaction already, or is this normal?
Anyone receiving a reply in shorter time?
Cees

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks, David! I've already checked in at the AVS site to see what's up and made a few comments and asked some questions.
And Cees, I did all my arrangements with Cherie via phone. If at all possible, that's the most efficient way. I usually call her around 10:00 a.m. California time and she always answers the phone and attends to things promptly.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

David Bott

Agent
Cees: Weird. I would have thought you would have heard something. Please call the # and leave a message for her. She will get back to you. Sorry for the issue.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
David,
I have another question, sorry :)
I, for now, will book under the 'run of the ship' option.
Now, if after a few weeks, another HTF member wishes to room with me, may I call back and say, that another member wishes to room with me.
------------------

David Bott

Agent
I do not see why not. But, why not just wait a short time and see if you can find a cabin mate?
Please note....The cabins are not like Hotel Rooms in size. Actually they are quite small. I am saying this because their is not a super lot of room and you will be with the person for a week under close conditions. For the most part, all the cabins listed are about the same size except for the suits. But they only have a single bed. (weird)
So, what I am saying is just please be sure you find someone you may be comfortable with. A phone call to the other party is suggested.
Hope I did not scare anyone. Just did not want any surprises in case someone is thinking hotel rooms here.
[Edited last by David Bott on September 04, 2001 at 01:53 PM]

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I booked my reservation last night. I got an email this morning as a confirmation and to provide an address to send the deposit to.
I am registered as "Kevin P" on both AVS and HTF (though I think I only have one post so far on AVS
wink.gif
), so if someone needs to give me access to things cruise related, please do so. :)
Now we have our 2002 vacation planned!
KJP

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hey John, I am a single HTFer who is getting seriously interested in going on this cruise. None of my normal travel partners will be able to go, so I am officially looking for a roomie. I was kind of looking at the ocean view w/ balcony class myself (DB/DA), but am willing to discuss the options.
We'll be meeting each other at the LA meet in three weeks, so if we find out we're completely incompatible we can back out early and I think we're only out $25 of the deposit. Send me an e-mail or reply if interested.
quote: suggest waiting to see if you can find a cabin mate that is willing to go in on a C with you [/quote]
David, if I read the info correctly, Cs only come with a single queen bed. Not really good for two people who don't know each other well...
wink.gif
Looks like the smaller cabins have a choice of 2 doubles. Does the C have this option?
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!
[Edited last by Craig S on September 04, 2001 at 01:38 PM]

David Bott

Agent
Kevin: As soon as I receive the booking confirmation, I can add you. That will not be until after they receive your deposit check. (Nothing Personal, I am just doing it as the confirmations come in.) Don't worry, not much their to read at all. :) It will pick up as we get closer.
Craig: I think you are 100% correct about the queen bed in the C cabins. Thus...Opps, I messed up! I will edit my above post.
------------------
David Bott
AVS Forum Admin

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
David,
Is there a map or some info on where the port is located in Miami FL? And what kind of hotels it's near?
Also, is Disneyworld/Universal, Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock near there??
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks