What's new

Home Page - why do I have to scroll to see the entire page? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The subject says it all. This isn't a huge deal, but just curious why I have to scroll to see the entire page from left to right. even this page I'm typing this message on I have to do it.

Thanks

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
You must be using 640x480 viewing resolution (which makes everything gigantic at least to me). Try increasing your resolution to 800x600 if your monitor is capable of it. You'll get much more out of your screen space (and the majority of websites these days are optimized to that anyway.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dave:

I have looked at this forum on a 640 x 480, 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 on 15 inch, 17 inch and 19 inch monitors and I don't see what you are seeing.

The only thing that I know of is for you try increasing the screeen size as suggested to at least 800 x 600.

Sorry,

Parker

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Hmmm... my screen size is set to 800x600 and the IE text size is medium. I also have to scroll horizontally to see the entire main forum page.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The front page IS too wide at 800x600. It seems to be caused by the date/time in the "Last Post" column do not wrapping when the page gets narrow. Something is forcing it all to be on a single line.
As for the post entry/edit, that should work fine in 800x600, but it is definitely too wide for 640x480.
I have been running a major board using vB for months, so I'm pretty familiar with it. (In case you were wondering why I was participating/interfering in this discussion.) :)
EDIT: The problem is caused by a "nowrap" attribute in the TD tag containing the data.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
I see the same thing on the main forum page (800x600). It appears that the "Last Post" column is taking and extraordinary amount of space because there is no break in the entire date string (i.e. November 19, 2000 2:23 PM).
-Mike
EDIT: As I was saying... see above post. :)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I think I found the real culprit. I was wrong about the "Last Post" text.

It seems that the cause is the grid with all the partner banners (Obi's Reviews, The Laser's Edge, etc.) The sum of the widest graphic in each column (digitallyobsessed.com SneakPeaks, ProhectorPeople.com) is 847. Add to that you have cellpadding set to 10, that means there's at least 20 pixels between each column, or an extra 60 pixels (don't forget outside padding). As a result, it's 907 pixels wide and can't shrink any smaller. You need to find a way to trim the width of that section by about 120 pixels to get it to fit in 800x600.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Parker, it's better, but the graphics themselves are still a little too wide. The average of the largest graphics in each column needs to be no more than about 260 pixels, now that the padding has been removed.

Doesn't affect me personally because I use 1152x864, but I know there's a large 800x600 faction out there.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Parker, I'll take a closer look at the code when I get home tonight. It's possible I missed something else. I'll let you know if I can find anything that can help solve this layout issue.
Fortunately, if there is only a slight scroll, it shouldn't be a real problem as long as users don't have to scroll to see something important.
As for my personal opionion, I wish everyone was using at the minimum a 17" monitor with 1024x768 resolution. It would sure make webpage layout easier. Alas, we do not always get our wish. :)
P.S., this is the site I visit most throughout my day. I was a lurker here for over a year before I even registered. Wish I hadn't waited so long. Just glad I can help even if a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks