What's new

Hodie to release both DVD-A & SACD (1 Viewer)

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
I was just on Hodie's web page. The plan to start releasing their discs in DVD-A & SACD. Hodie does very high quality DVD-A discs with all digital hi-res recordings like AIX does. It looks like they plan to simultaneously record h-res PCM & DSD, so there will be no conversion for either format. So maybe finally, there will be valid comparison discs.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It's a gambit to get audio-vidiots everywhere to buy both formats at once.:D It proably is! Does Hodie have a link handy? Best wishes!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I have one of their DVD-As and I hate it. The sound quality is great, but ther performance of the Requiem is painfully, painfully slow. I've been meaning to sell it on e-bay.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Craig,

Thanks for this. More evidence that grass roots support for SACD is growing. And what is interesting is that they were previously firmly committed to DVD Audio. :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
All those labels are classical music labels.

Classical makes up a tiny percentage of music sales.

So when people proclaim sacd is "winning" the format war, in reality the only people winning are classical music listeners.

And isn't classical music classified as "public domain" and therefore cheap as dirt to record?

Sorry but for us mosh pit, Doc Martin people sacd is one big yawn fest that is dead in the water.

LJ

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Lance, it's like Criterion for DVD. For once, someone's marketing to us rather than the lowest common denominator.

I mean, I want my Sonic Youth, too, but no more than my Miles Davis and Gustav Mahler. Let the mooks groove to Limp Bizkit on MP3, for all I care. If "mainstreaming" means appealing to the retarded aesthetics of the disposable culture crowd, then may we be niche forever.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I mostly wrote that post because I'm tired of the sacd snobs constantly stating sacd is winning over dvd-audio, when in the BIG picture, it is doing nothing of the sort.

And no, I do not want dvd-audio to turn into just another format carrying crappily recorded, shallow-minded music.

These are simply audio formats and nothing to get all freaky about. But that is what upsets me: why are so many consistently twisting facts and making excuses for sacd???

LJ

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Lance, I hope DVD-A survives and flourishes,and that it seems to be struggling at present brings me no delight. Hodie World is simply making a business decision that reflects the reality of the market, but they have not given up support for DVD-A. They've merely expanded their support to include SACD. One can surely draw some conclusions from that which are negative towards the DVD-A format, but the conclusions I draw are positive towards both formats and more importantly for music lovers, in general.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I mostly wrote that post because I'm tired of the sacd snobs constantly stating sacd is winning over dvd-audio, when in the BIG picture, it is doing nothing of the sort.
Lance,

I think we can say that while classical sales may be a smal niche within the market, it does indicate a lot of grass roots support for the format. Recently, the title announcements for DVDA have been a fraction of that for Super Audio. I have both formats and I enjoy both but right now SACD has the momentum. I would like to see both survive if it means more hirez titles.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "early adopters" lead the market and many of these likely include classical fans, audiophile, jazz lovers, etc.

But Super Audio is starting to have more mainstream acts and interest grows and more titles are available. :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
No Lee. All this indicates is that Hodie believes they can sell more titles when releasing both DVD-Audio and SACD titles than DVD-Audio titles alone.

I'm no business strategy consultant, and I haven't done the case studies to prove it, but I still feel pretty safe in my above conclusions nonetheless.

All Hodie's work has been done in PCM, so it's best presentation will be as PCM.

Regards,

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
All Hodie's work has been done in PCM, so it's best presentation will be as PCM.
This is exactly how Hodie feels. Hodie will only be releasing new titles in SACD. They have no plans on releasing SACD's for which they have no DSD masters.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Craig,

It remains to be seen whether they have access to, or purchased DSD equipment....

Regards,

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Its the sound of acoustic instruments performing dynamic music as an ensemble that makes recordings done at 96 kHz/24-bit & 192 kHz/24-bit and DSD worth the time, trouble and expense.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Craig,

I don't see them going to the expense and complexity of capturing both DSD and PCM simultaneously during their recording sessions but time will tell.

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I don't see them going to the expense and complexity of capturing both DSD and PCM simultaneously during their recording sessions but time will tell.
Capturing both is not that expensive. You just need a few more cables and a Meitner DSD box. For a label like Hodie this is a minor cost.

And Hodie is very concerned about the best sound quality so having Pure PCM and Pure DSD signal paths is the only way to go if you plan on doing Super Audio releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks