What's new

HK DPR 1001 - Floorstanding speaker rec's and digital path w/power amp (1 Viewer)

Michael_A

Auditioning
Hi All,

I recently purchased a HK DPR 1001 from Fry's (got it for $270 clearanced, not bad eh?). I sold all my stereo equipment a few months ago before a move, so now I'm rebuilding from scratch.

Since I live in an apartment, I was going to get satellites or maybe bookshelves. After comparing listening to music with bookshelves, satellites, and floorstanding speakers (and being used to my previous Energy Audissey 3+2's), I decided I'm going to again purchase floorstanding speakers and build around them.

That being said, I've narrowed my choices down to the following (so far):

Energy Connoisseur C-5
Polk RTi8

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the DPR 1001 and would recommend a particular type of speaker. In addition, what other floorstanding models should I look at in that price range (~$700 pair)? I've also listened to Paradigm and Klipsh and thought they sounded too drowned out, or too efficient perhaps.

Last, if I wasn't happy with the power provided by the DPR 1001, would adding a power amp negate the effect of the 'all digital path'? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Mike

David Judah

Screenwriter

Well, the signal would be taking a more traditional path to analog if you added a power amp to it(assuming a digital source). Supposedly, with some digital amps, the advantage is the signal stays digital until the very end up to the low pass filter before output to the speakers(the digital amp itself is the DAC), which in theory, keeps it from some types of corruption that can happen in the analog domain.

It's hard to say if it's always a real advantage, because it will depend on how the digital circuitry is implemented(digital amps have the potential to be "noisy" if EMI is not supressed). So try it at different volume levels that you'll actually listen at, and if it starts to sound harsh, you'll know you need something with more power.

I have a little Panasonic digital receiver that is very good at moderate volumes and it's a cheapie, so I imagine one with better build quality would be quite amazing. It does run out of steam at high volumes and needs a digital source, but it was suprising how well it stacked up against my Yamaha receiver/Sunfire Cinema Grand amp combo(driving B&W towers)under the right conditions.

I'm interested to see how this technology is implemented down the road, but so far it looks very promising.

DJ

Michael_A

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies!! I think I'll try and get an audition for the JBL's.

I think I'll just have to get some listening time with the unit to determine if it produces enough power. Considering my system will be located in a small, apartment living room I'm not anticipating any problems.

GregBe

Second Unit
Hi Michael,

I just bought the DPR-1001 from Fry's for the same price and am thrilled with it. I don't have specific experience with floorstanders, but with my bookshelves, I am able to turn it up louder without distortion than I could with the Onkyo TX-SR600 it replaced.

The sound quality is much warmer in the midrange than the Onkyo, and sounds much better to my ears. The only complaint that I read about it from other posts was that there was a hissing sound coming out of the speakers when there was no music present. I don't notice that at all and have nothing but positives to say.

For me, there was a huge difference in the distribution of sound effects for movies. Things appeared to be much more separated and exciting for DVD watching. I always thought that things like that would be identical from receiver to receiver. I also really like Logic7 for TV watching and CD music listening.

Let me know when you get the thing up and running. I am curious about your thoughts.

Greg

Michael_A

Auditioning
Hi Greg-

Thanks for the feedback. I am excited to get it up and running. I will probably start purchasing speakers next week Friday (I travel during the week, so it's easy to wait :)) and will let you know how they sound.

I'm also really glad to hear you were able to turn up the volume louder than your Onkyo 80W receiver.

Just out of curiousity, was your unit new in a box or a floor model? I was wondering if I should try and track down a store with a new model.

Thanks,

Mike

GregBe

Second Unit
Mine was a floor model. I have never had problems buying open box for a good deal ($270 is an awesome deal :D ) With Fry's most of their floor models are not even hooked up. They just sit on a shelf. Even if it was in use, I would think the savings would be worth it. You get the same HK warrantee and the DPR does not run hot anyway, so I would think the wear and tear would not be as much as the traditional amp. If you can track down a new one, go for it, but if not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Greg

mielnik_s

Auditioning
Does anyone know if there'd be a problem adding a couple of analog amps to the DPR1001? I was thinking of buying a pair of Outlaw monoblocks for my mains. Has anyone tried this?

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
There shouldn't be any problem adding the Outlaw monoblocks to the HK as long as it has pre-outs which I believe it does. I use them for both my SVS subs and for center channel duty. They sound great and the music sense works great , turns them on and off with no problems. I really like them and they are on sale all the time now. They didn't put much money into the case but it is evident the rest of the amp is first rate , very well built amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks